Airport or Centrino?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by progx, Mar 22, 2006.

1. progx macrumors regular

progx

now that Apple has moved to Intel, is it really worth it to continue the Airport in portables?

it's kinda pointless now, looking at the Centrino PC portables, they should be using those in portables instead of the Airport.

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I see your point. The only two reasons that i could think that they would include airport instead of the centrino bundle is that they still want to be different than regular pc's, and they want as little confusion so the consumer still believes whole heartily that the airport express/extreme still works. those are the only two. and i think soon, they will switch to centrino.

just my opinion.

EDIT: also, progx, your sig is too long and if you don't change it soon, they will delete it all. 6 lines max. yours is 7.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Intel Macs use the same old Airport/AE card as in previous Macs, but put the Airport name on the Intel solution. Airport in this case is a marketing term, and not a hardware platform. I think that is why there have been so many problems with the new iMac and MBP wireless connections - this is new territory for Apple, and apparently not all of the bugs have been worked out yet (although I'm sure they will be before long).

4. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I believe there is only like 3 different manufacturers of wireless chipsets. Different manufactures buy the chipsets and rebrand them. Intel, Dell, Apple all use these chipsets. They all work on the same standards. Airport, Centrino and whatever anyone else wants to call it, they are all the same.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AirPort is nothing special, it's just Apples brand naming for 802.11b/g. It makes no difference.