AirPort PB vs. iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wPod, Feb 6, 2004.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i have both a 12" iBook 700MHz and a 12" PB 867MHz with AirPort and AirPort Extreme respectivly. Both using my generic 802.11b router. Why does my iBook get gobs and gobs of better reseption than my PB? I know 802.11g (extreme) is supposed to have a shorter range than 11b but using a .b router shouldnt my PB default to .b and thus have equal performance? Or, is there any way I can optimize my PB for better .b reseption? My iBook easily gets 20 to 30 feet more distance away from the router than my PB. A friend of mine who has a Sony even gets better performance than my PB, but not as good as the iBook. Any ideas?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yup 2nd that post, ibooks are airport reception beasts!!!

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

my opinion is that the iBook is a vortex, nah a blackhole, that consumes any wifi reception. Be careful, I've heard that this vortex is soooo powerful people have often lost cats.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Just be glad you haven't got a TiBook. They were supposed to have terrible Airport reception. The AlBooks are supposedly better but metal is a better shielder than plastic, hence iBooks get much better reception.