Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i have both a 12" iBook 700MHz and a 12" PB 867MHz with AirPort and AirPort Extreme respectivly. Both using my generic 802.11b router. Why does my iBook get gobs and gobs of better reseption than my PB? I know 802.11g (extreme) is supposed to have a shorter range than 11b but using a .b router shouldnt my PB default to .b and thus have equal performance? Or, is there any way I can optimize my PB for better .b reseption? My iBook easily gets 20 to 30 feet more distance away from the router than my PB. A friend of mine who has a Sony even gets better performance than my PB, but not as good as the iBook. Any ideas?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
my opinion is that the iBook is a vortex, nah a blackhole, that consumes any wifi reception. Be careful, I've heard that this vortex is soooo powerful people have often lost cats.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Just be glad you haven't got a TiBook. They were supposed to have terrible Airport reception. The AlBooks are supposedly better but metal is a better shielder than plastic, hence iBooks get much better reception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.