Airport preference file - drop into new system?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by shecky, Aug 16, 2004.

1. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    for my annual pre-college semeter cleanup on my TiBook, i used CCC to image my HD to a Lacie d2 firewire drive before i did a new install of 10.3.5, all my apps, files, etc... onto my cleaned and formatted TiBook's drive

I access the internet at school using a private airport network. I assume that the settings for this network access are in a preference file in my cloned image on my d2 - if it is then its dramatically easier to just copy the original preference file to my new installation than to try and get my schools computer people to set it up for me again.

so with that in mind....will this work the way i want it to? I found what appears to be the only Airport preference file i can find:

hard drive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

on my d2, so if i just copy it to the same place on my new install will i be all set, or will i be giving myself a major headache? I have done the copy+paste of .plist files before for mail, safari, adobe, etc... but always from the library in my home folder, never from a root directory like the above.

Just wanted to make sure i dont cause more problems than i solve by doing this.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure what to tell you as my experience has gone both ways. This should work, and it really can't hurt anything to try it. If it didn't work you could trash the preference file and be no worse off than if you never tried it.

I try to keep a backup of my MDD's user account on my Cube for those times I need to use a different system and it has to be very familiar. I copied everything, including the Library folder, to the Cube and get really hit or miss results. Some things work, some things don't. But when they don't it's just a minor inconvenience. I can't even think of a good example, so how bad can it be?