Airport Printer only prints black and white

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Red Belly, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Red Belly macrumors member

May 9, 2005
    I'm a relative newcomer to macs so apologies if this is a dumb question...

I have a HP PSC 1110 to which I print wirelessly, via an Airport Express, from my ibook. I've been useing it successfully for about a month, but today for the first time I tried to print photos from iPhoto and it wouldn't print in fact it won't print in colour wirelessly no matter which application the print job is sent from. When I attached the printer directly to the ibook via USB and it worked perfectly so I have a staightforward solution, but, it should work in colour wirelessly shouldn't it?

Any ideas for a fix?

rb :confused:
  2. jimN macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    You need to check your drivers and reinstall them if necessary. There is no reason (that i can see anyway) that you should lose colour when printing wirelessly after all it is just another way of delivering information to the printer. Have you changed anything, installed any updates in the last few days?
  3. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

May 9, 2005

No recent updates. Using driver 2.7.2 which appears to be the correct one according to both Apple and HP's websites. I've "uninstalled" the printer and "reinstalled" it and restarted the AE etc. all to no normally connected by USB cable, only prints black and white wirelessly.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    That's really weird. The only thing I can think of is that your printer settings have been checked for black and white by default through the wireless printer which is, according to your Mac, a completely different printer to the wired one.

A much stranger theory would be that your buffer in the printer is being overrun because of the size of the colour image and so it is defaulting to black and white. I don't have any experience with HP printers but I seriously doubt they do this.
  5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Having exactly the same problem with exactly the same printer. Help!
  6. kreesurgeon macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2002
    Brighton, UK
    Same Here

Just got a new HP D1460 and have the same problem. has any one found a fix for this?
  7. AndrewJay macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2009
    i having the same problem with a HP and a Mac but over a wireless network with pc/windows

anyone found a fix
  8. cptoadie macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2010
    me too

I have a HP printer too, and I'm having the same problem: black ink only when on wireless. USB works fine though.
  9. edoras macrumors member

Dec 1, 2007
    I am using HP Deskjet C2050 wireless printing over Airport Express... No problem printing in color...