Airport Problem: Just Stopped Working/ Dropped Signal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bali Cockfight, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

I have a Hawking wireless router 802.11g. On Friday I was using it just fine with no problems and full signal. I woke up on Saturday morning and I wasn't getting a signal. I turned off airport and turned it back on with no success. I made sure all the wires were connected and they were fine. I am picking up a faint signal, but not enough for me to log in. It never lasts long enough for me to log in. Has anyone had this problem? Is it my airport card or is it the router? Maybe my preferences are out of wack, but I didnt change them at all. Thanks.

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

What computer/version of OS X are you using? If you are using a MBP, people have reported this although i am not aware of how to fix it. Someone else may be able to help you.

3. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 867Mhz Powerbook G4. I am running Tiger 10.4.5 on it

4. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

that is the TiBook, correct? Assuming so, the titanium can often interfere with the airport signal if the antenna is pushed inside. Also, that model does not have an AirPort Extreme card in it (to my knowledge). If its not a TiBook it is probably something harder. :( But from your description, if its a TiBook that could be the problem. Was it bumped at all overnight? Also, if you haven't rebooted try that. Can't think of anything else right now.

If you aren't sure if you have the TiBook or the AlBook, the TiBook is the 15" powerbook g4 with a space between the main board and the screen. The AlBook has a big full length hinge. If you have a 12 or 17" model it's an AlBook and whatever i said above (except rebooting) will probably not make a difference.

EDIT: Late night fatigue made me have a temporary memory lapse that the 17" never came in 867 MHz. So i google searched and you either have the 12" AlBook or the 15" TiBook.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is there any way you can check a different wireless network to determine whether this is a computer or a router problem?

Have you tried turning the router off for thirty seconds (unplugged form the wall) to refresh some of your ISP and wireless settings? :)

6. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, it's the TiBook.

7. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa, baby! Turning it off for a minute did the trick! Thanks man! You're a rockstar!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problem. Every now and then routers need to be reset. Wireless networks with file sharing apps running are particularly susceptible to this sort of thing. :)