airport problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wizzerandchips, Oct 31, 2006.

1. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

I have a iMac g 5 and a macbook, both in the same room yet the g5 keeps dropping the signal and I have to keep restarting it to log on to the netgear.

Can anyone tell why this should happen.:mad:

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It could be that your wireless antennas are either pinched, or are going bad on you. It could be an issue with your wireless router. Do you have any cordless phones, baby monitors near by? Wireless is kinda funny like that. Its what some people refer it to as an unreliable network source as it can really drop out at anytime for many different reasons. And, it can effect one computer, but not another. Thats just the way wireless networks are.

But I would lean more toward a hardware issue either with the iMac itself or the Netgear wireless router. Is it possible to take it to a friends house that has wireless and join their wireless network and see what it does for a couple of hours? That would be a good way to test it. If it doesn't drop out elsewhere at all then its not a problem with the iMac obvously, but rather either something environmental, or a problem with the netgear.

Does it drop out if you don't have the MacBook on the wireless network?