Airport problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brsboarder, Dec 3, 2006.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, recently, I've noticed that I am having trouble accessing the internet afrter I had been connected to a wireless network. If I turn off airport and then back on, it has no problem, but if I don't use the internet after like 15 min, sometimes, I have to go and turn it off then on. Sometimes it even will do this while I'm using it. Any advice? All my updates are on.

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

You're on an intel mac, right?

This problem is driving me nuts, and Apple's solution doesn't work. I've mentioned this in about ten airport help threads, and yet I can't come up with a complete solution. My network goes out, airport assigns its own ip address, and I have shut airport off and on numerous times trying to fix it. I've trashed .plist files, moved them to the desktop, reseted the airport express router, removed and added back preferred networks, deleted keychain entries for networks, and restarted more than I'd like to remember.

I sure hope Apple fixes this problem with 10.4.9. I can't stand it anymore, and my computer is too far from the router for me to resort to a wired connection.

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Just out of curiosity, what ISP's are you using?

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I'm using optimum online from Cablevision here in New York.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not on an intel mac, sorry, ibook g4, but my isp is a school isp, so I'm not really sure, some type of t1 I'm assuming

6. dolphin1 macrumors member

You know it sounds exactly what was happening to my ibook only mine was from the dial up connection. It ended up being a bad modem.
    Does it happen with just the one wireless network or have you tried others?
    That's the first thing I would do is go use two, maybe three other different ones and if it is still happening I would find an apple repair shop. Do you have applecare? Or is it still under warranty?

7. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

still have applecare, I'll test other networks and see what happens

8. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

dunno about other networks, but other ibooks and powerbooks don't have dropped signals