Airport Question......and Speakers......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mattpol, Jun 23, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

I have two quick questions....

1) What is the actual range on the Airport system, how well does it work through walls and the like, etc....? I'm just looking for some opinions on the system...

2) Anyone have the JBL Sonnet speakers and subwoofer that could tell me their opinion on those??

thanks for all your help!

-matt

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i have had really good luck with airport when i have used it. i use a cheaper SMC wireless router right now that has decent range, but have used and installed Airport Base Stations before. the install is easy, troubleshooting is minimal, and the range is second to none I have seen.

as far as going thru materials...walls and such are fine but the signal will degrade and sometime stop completely when faced with any type of moisture filled material, e.g. brick, tile, cinder block, etc. other than that it goes thru walls just fine. line of site is always great to have, but you will be fine without it.

as far as the speakers go i have no experience with them, but i DO have the harmon/kardon soundsticks and they are probably the best computer speaker system i will ever own. well worth the clams.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

My father uses an Airport (dual ethernet) with his Firewire PBG3 in OS 9 and he has connecting problems through walls and from about 20 feet away.

As for speakers, I'm sure Alpha will want to comment on these. Anything from Cambridge is high quality, way better than the soundsticks. I know this because my father, owner of a stereo store, said so.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Depending on how you set the Airport base station up your range could vary. Through normal house walls and such, you should see the full range.

As for speakers, NOTHING can touch Cambridge Soundworks speakers. The quality of the speakers and sound you get from them beats all. They also rate their systems a bit different then most other speaker makers. For Cambridge Soundworks systems, the wattage numbers are the minimum they operate at, where just about all the others list the maximum possible under ideal conditions.

I have the mid range set on one computer and have to go to headphones at night. The subwoofer puts out enough base to keep my downstairs neighbor up, and his bedroom is on the opposite side of the house.

The CSW speakers will also cost you quite a bit less then the HK ones. The MicroWorks system is selling for $150. You could also check out the MegaWorks 210D system which runs $300.

5. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

JBL SPEAKERS!!!

What about the JBL Sonnet speakers?? Are they any good. They sounded very good @ the apple store!

-matt

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: JBL SPEAKERS!!!

Never used them, don't know anyone with them. Don't judge speakers inside of a busy/noisy store. Background noise will hide sound defects that you will notice when you get them home.