Airport question. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soulstorm, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have the following problem. I want to connect my 2 computers (my g5 and iMac G4-see specs below) wirelessly in order to use the same ADSL line that I am using now.

1)Will 2 airport extreme cards and an airport express base station do the trick?

2)Also, that way will I be able to make a LAN connection with my 2 computers (it would be nice to share files with one computer to another or to play games).

3) What differences do the Airport Express Base Station and Airport Extreme Base Station have?

thanks in advance

2. doug.hall macrumors regular

1)Will 2 airport extreme cards and an airport express base station do the trick?

It depends. If you already have a adsl modem with a spare ethernet connection then an aiport express and two airport cards will fine. However if you don't have an adsl modem (so you can connect to your broadband connection you will need an airport extreme.

2)Also, that way will I be able to make a LAN connection with my 2 computers (it would be nice to share files with one computer to another or to play games).

Yes.

3) What differences do the Airport Express Base Station and Airport Extreme Base Station have?

Airport express is a small device that will allow you to create a wireless network, wirelessly connect a printer shared between all machines on your wireless network, and wirelessly connect a stereo to play music from iTunes.

Airport extreme wont allow you to connect iTunes wirelessly to a stereo but it does include a built in modem.

Hope that helps.

3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

If one of your computers can connect directly to the ADSL (if the connection is near your computer), then you don't need the base station. Plug the DSL line (ethernet) into one Mac and share your internet connection via Airport (see the Sharing section in System Preferences) to your other Mac. I've done this many times and it works well. You only need an Airport card in each machine.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Also the Express can support less users(????10????) and the Extreme supports 50. The Extreme also has 2 ethernet ports.

5. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Thanks! I will try this. Maybe I will get away with paying 90 euros for each airport card, and not anadditional 150 euros for airport express....

6. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Please can you tell me how to do that? I have a problem configuring my computers!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=174774