Airport question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Heart Break Kid, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

My bro is running a wireless network using his dell. is there anyway for a mac to connect to this network without using an airport base station? i mean...if i have the card..can i just log onto the network and surf the net?

yes im a nooby...just bought that 17" PB....still waiting on it though :)

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

What is the wireless connection 802.11b ?

It all depends if it a 'b' or 'g' connection.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

its 802.11 b

will it work?
    i hope it does

i dont wanna buy a base station
    damn expensive
    and i already forked out nearly 5 gs for my PB + other stuff

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I belive the new Powerbook still come with the old airport inside.

It will work if the new powerbooks have 802.11b abality..

Your gonna have to check on it.

5. veedubdrew macrumors regular

On a different note, I just set up my AirPort extreme base station in my living room for my iMac in my bedroom (it's hardwired to a PC out in the living room). When I open the AirPort Admin thing, no base stations show up. I'm online and have nearly 100% signal, but for some reason the admin utility isn't recognizing it. Any suggestions?

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

If you install an airport extreme card in the powerbook, it will work on ANY 802.11b or 802.11g network. I have the origonal airport in my powermac and its connected to a Dlink wireless router. Your new powerbook should have no problem sharing the connection assuming its one of those two standards.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i havent been to impressed with Airport Extreme to much. I have come to the conclusion that it would be three things. My router, my card, or my powerbook. I used to have a Pismo with an AirPort card on a wireless Linsys router and worked great. I go could go into my backyard and get great speeds. Now I have a 12 inch powerbook with airport extreme and my speeds just plain suck. I am in my room right now and had to connect to hard wire just to do stuff. But at work we have an actual Airport Extreme Base Station and it works great. But i only tried it with my powermac, not this computer. Im gonna have to say its the card not liking third party routers. Oh well though, if i dont solve the problem ill bring home an airport base station if necessary. any body else have any problems with a linsys router, mine is 802.11b one.

iJon

8. straphound macrumors member

WEP

Since we are on the subject of Airport problems, has anyone been successfull getting 128 bit WEP working between a third party access point and Airport? I set the 1st key under the WAP's control panel but my Ibook keeps rejecting it. W/out WEP turned on it works like a champ.

THANKS!

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

It's a conspiracy to force us to buy Apple's overpriced Airport stations...

As to using the linksys, I don't know anyone with a 802.11g laptop that could test on my router. With my buddy's Pismo he can get a usable signal in the middle of my street, about 200 ft and 4 walls away!

Question:

PC's will have tri-mode wireless in a few months. When will the Mac's? 802.11a does have it's advantages over b/g when using many routers on the same network to cover a big area (park or big office building).

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Re: WEP

yes.

hexadecimal...

11. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I thought you had to be hard wired to use the airport admin utility to set it up. :D