Airport question.....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sethypoo, Jan 18, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I was wondering if there are any choices besides the Airport Extreme base station for use with the Airport Extreme card in my 12" PowerBook G4.....as in are there any cheaper options?

Thanks!

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Most 802.11g wireless routers should work, but none are as easy to set up as the Base station IMO. Something like this should work. :)

3. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Good point, I think I'll just get the cheaper version of the Airport Extreme Base Station.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I don't want to lead you to think there aren't cheaper alternatives, but I have an Airport Extreme Basestation and It's worked well for me. :D

6. mike412 macrumors newbie

I would recomend Belkin. I have a Belkin wireless router and it works great. It's much cheaper than the airport base station. It also integrates extremely well with my airport card. It was very easy to set up, as well.

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I have a linksys router that works great, however from experience i would avoid D-Link products. You'll be just fine with a non-Apple base station, it just wont look as pretty!

8. Engagebot macrumors regular

i have a Linksys BEFW11S4 (the wireless-B router that you see most of the time at bestbuy), and i have to say its great with a regular airport card, but it sucks with extreme.

i have to reset the router at least once a day. when my powerbook goes to sleep, sometimes it cant get online without resetting the router. i can connect to the network no problem, but no 'net.

my old iBook worked great with the linksys though.

9. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Ok I can help with this situation. I have tried three different 802.11G routers (thanks to Circuit City's return policy :D).

I have tried the Belkin, Netgear and Linksys. I ended up staying with the Linksys for the sole reason of not having a problem with my cordless phone.

All three were extremely easy to setup. In fact all I had to do was enable a wireless connection, and the Airport Extreme card connected instantly.

The Belkin, was the worst as far as range goes, I was 25 feet away and only had two bars on the Airport Status on the Menu Bar.

The Netgear was a great router, had terrific range, but I didn't choose it because my 2.4GHz phone and it did not get along. At 25 feet away and two walls between me and the router, I had full signal.

I have had the same results with the Linksys, but it plays nicely with the cordless phone.

I highly recommend both the Netgear and the Linksys. In my honest opinion, the Airport Base Station, is over priced. Almost all of the same features can be had with both the Linksys and Netgear, the Airport base just looks better ;).

BTW......I have a 14" G4 iBook 933Mhz with 640MB of RAM.