Airport Questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by IIvan, Jan 11, 2004.

1. IIvan macrumors regular

Hey- I was wondering if any of you know much about Airport and WiFi. I just got an ibook with Airport, and I was curious what all I could do. Can I access the internet off of someones network from nearby? Is it compatible with all PC-based wireless networks? Is there generally some password or identification required to log on? If I do manage to log on, how can I set the computer to acces the internet? Is it illegal to access someones network w/o permission?

If you know any ot this stuff please help me out

THanks

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

That's a lot of questions. Try doing a search of the forums, you'll find threads with the answers.

3. IIvan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah- that takes a while though, esp. w/56k. I am a mild hardware geek, but don't know much about wireless. I figured maybe some hardcore geeks (meant in a good way) who patrol these forums might feel like spending a few minutes clueing me in...

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i say if someone is dumb enough to go wi-fi and not password-encode the signal, go about your surfing.

hopefully they've at least got their network password protected. if not, be kind to them. i've no idea about the legality of borrowing bandwidth. but doing harm to their network is illegal.

5. IIvan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah- I don't really want to hack, I just can't afford broadband right now :(

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Airport Questions

Can you access the internet off nearby networks? Yes. Legally? That's a different question--for the answer, think about it.

Do a search on versiontracker.com for MacStumbler, which will allow you to locate networks. Some people (the smart ones) protect their networks with passwords and encryption. Range is only about 100 feet (for a usable signal) so you can't just sit in your living room and use any network in town. You pretty much have to be sitting in somebody's front yard to use their wifi. You'd also be able to get into networks in places like Starbucks--legal yes, free no.

Once you're on a network, open up Safari and go to a website--and if you're stealing your access hope that the owner isn't reading your email.

Is Airport compatible with PC-based networks? There are no PC-based networks. 802.11b/g are standards and everyone has to conform to them. An Apple-branded card will get you onto Linksys, Netgear, etc hardware if that's what you're talking about.

7. IIvan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

I was not aware that 802.11 was completely standardized... It would be great to go war driving where I live- Im surrounded by freakin rich people with 'spensive computer setups... I'm just not entirely sure how to go about it...

When you launch Safari will it automatically discover the network connection?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Thank you!

osx will find it even w/o an internet request, assuming you've got airport enabled.

interesting idea that people could leave their networks "open," w/ the express purpose of examining the data streams of those who are stealing it. twisted. i like it.

9. IIvan thread starter macrumors regular

Hey- if people want to look at what Im dowloading -more power to them. They'll probably learn something... maybe even get a boner :eek: :D

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

like your unencrypted passwords?

11. IIvan thread starter macrumors regular

I was joking, it was getting late. However, if someone did notice a new computer on the network, and was fairly knowledgable about software, what could they do? I wouldn't be so much worried about my internet passwords- I wouldn't do serious work on someone elses bandwidth- as them accessing my drives, is that a possibility?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's the same as them physically plugging into your router -- they'd need to log in to a computer to get access to the drives. (or you plugging into their's -- they'd need your login info to get to your drives)

as far as what they could do by sniffing your wireless stream, is it encrypted? if so, i wouldn't worry too much, even if it's their wifi you're using.

so where's the danger? if you wander into their unencrypted wifi zone, they could sniff your packets and any sent passwords. but if you're just reading apple.com, e.g., there's not a lot they could do.