Airport Questions...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iChan, Jan 14, 2004.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Any help would be of HUGE HUGE benefit...

I'll get right into it...

1) Do I simply connect an ethernet cable from my Broadband Modem to the airport extreme base station (AEBS) and voilá, internet sharing between my three macs wirelessly?

2) when bridging, is the AEBS w/ modem and USB port necessary at all points or just the main one with the printer attached?

3) The modem is just 56k yeah?

4) my broadband system requires manual connection with PPPoE, will this still work?? how do i get it to stay connected all day?

I think I have more questions but i can't seem to think right now...

I am helping out with my new family home... I have not yet decided whether to install a network in the house or just go with 802.11x wireless...

I was even thinking of using both in case the AEBS didn't reach some corners of the house, but then i found out about the bridging...

Does anyone recommend having a wired network as well as a wireless one?? if so... why?? maybe put the wired network to use for other applications?? I just don't know... please help

And if there is anything else important you would like add about home networking in general, please tell me...

Thanks in advance.
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1.) You have to run the setup utility, but it's pretty painless.
    2.) You only need a modem or USB where you'll use it.
    3.) Modem is 56k
    4.) AEBS supports PPPoE. I don't use it so I don't know all the ins and outs but I suspect to leave it on all day you just don't disconnect.