Airport questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shumster, Jun 2, 2004.

1. shumster macrumors member

Heading over to Canada to visit my parents later this summer. Will be getting mum a new iMac G4(5?).

I'd like to set up a wireless network in their house and have a couple of questions

1. WOuld one Airport Extreme base unit or other brand 802.11b/g router (I have a Buffalo G54 Airstation) be sufficient to get signal all over the house (typical 2 storey and basement)

2. What would be the best location for the router and assorted DSL equipment to ensure a decent signal everywhere

Or any advice on how best to set this up would be appreciated.

2. Soire macrumors regular

I have a question- sorry to burden your thread.

Is it necessary to have the basestation?
    I mean, if you have a PowerMac with an AE card that is wired to the internet, could you then use that card to broadcast to a laptop with an airport card?

Can you use a desktop as the basestation for a portable?

Thanks and sorry. :D

3. Amani macrumors member

Amani

Yes you can. According to a book I have titled, The Mac Panther Bible, here's how you set up for OS X 10.2 or later:

1. Connect the Mac tothe Internet using watever means you normally would.

2. Open the Sharing pane in System Preferences.

3. Click the Internet tab.

4. Click the Start button to turn on Internet sharing.

5. Create a new AirPort network using Create Network option in the AirPort menu on the right-hand side of the Mac's menu bar.

Other Macs can now join the AirPort network. This Mac will act as the wireless hub and as the connection to the Internet. The software access point works with a dial-up modem as well as high-speed connections.

4. shumster thread starter macrumors member

Would that method allow PC's to access the network too? My dad has just taken delivery of a T42 Thinkpad, so need to give him access too

5. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

it should, i don't see why it would't when ur shareing a connection like a normal basestation would.

-Neal