airport secert

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ibookowner2, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    instead of shelling out $200 for a airport extreme basestation purchase the broadband wireless router

120 dollers cheaper
  2. diddy macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
  3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
  4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I've owned two of these. Had them for a year. Sold them both and replaced with 1 AirPort Extreme and 1 AirPort Express.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for.
  5. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    instead of shelling out $$2999 for a powermac g5 purchase a dell
    2000 dollers cheaper
  6. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Re: 'secert'

Did you mean: secret

Actually looking at the definition for secret seems to mean that knowledge has been intentionally obscured. Apple hasn't tried to keep people from finding out that other Wi-Fi base stations are cheaper, and certainly hasn't promoted theirs as being a cost-effective implementation. Not really a secret, maybe a tip, but not even a new one at that
  7. Twinkie macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Milford, MI
    oh hay did u know u can build a w00t network with a belkin 802.11b router and a can of pringles and soem coax it is true and u can save like even more moneys mang

120 bux cheaper more liek 220 bux am i rite steve jobs is ripping us off omg
  8. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Eek! It's the attack of the "dude, you're gettin' a Dell" guy!

Run for your lives!
  9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Yeah, the base station is a complete waste of money if you only plan on using it for wireless access. There are plenty of great ones out there for even less than you paid.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd search the forums next time before you post some mind blowing revelation. Might save you some embarrassment next time. Checking your spelling wouldn't hurt either.
  11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    Oh. My. God. They have arrived...

Quick! Someone get some S & W Model 3 Americans (I have a good taste in guns), give one to each smart user and give them a crash course in gunmanship!
  12. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2005
    Heh I guess this proves the fact that some noobs should stay noobs.
  13. kevinuaa macrumors member

Jul 25, 2004
  14. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    what you mean this ??
  15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
  16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Hondas are cheaper than BMWs, and more people buy them.
    Linksys routers are cheaper than Basestations, and more people buy them.
    PCs are cheaper than Macs, and more people buy them.

Does ANYONE think the first products are better? We all know there are cheaper alternatives to just about everything (I could avoid a computer by using the post office, pens, paper and a calculator) but none of them are BETTER.
  17. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Don't go there, dude... you'll have lawyers from Hormel climbing all over you.

SPAM = canned meat product from Hormel
    spam (lower-case) = lame, unwanted e-mail received in vast quantities

18. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    lol :D i have had a taste of both of em and don't want to try them again
  19. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2002

Don't waste your money on a router. Take it all and invest it in an English class...
  20. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
  21. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    Thanks for stopping by chummmmmpah.

Is the concept of quality completely lost on people?
  22. fedora macrumors member

Jun 30, 2004
    Buy an airport express then, I did. Much better looking and more useful than that thing.
  23. Bonsaichop macrumors member

Nov 7, 2004
    Wollongong, Australia
    First off, im sorry im picking at you, but this applies for 70% of the posts on this thread.

What the hell are you on about you get what you pay for?

FYI- The original Apple Airport card 2nd hand is around $80USD or around $100AUD where im from. Now, these are all rebagged ORINOCO GOLD WIRELESS CARDS. I can pick one of those up for $20USD or $35AUD.

The original Airport Base Station had an ORINOCO GOLD WIRELESS CARD as pretty much the entire AP which had an ethernet/USB interface. Now I can't quote prices on them, but you can get a generic basestation powered by an orinoco card for alot cheaper!

Apple doesnt design the 54G protocol, other companies do! Apple only designs the software interface for them and thats only a nice covering for how they really run. An apple Airport Extreme is not going to run any better or any worse than any other 802.11g protocol access point.

You get what you pay for?? Well let me tell you a secret,

Apple don't make thier basestations themselves, they pay other companies to make them for Apple

But don't tell anyone!!!!!!
  24. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've owned one ... for a little over a year ... no problems. I certainly got my money's worth. It's certainly not as pretty but I don't have to look at it. It's hidden in my house. I think you can pick them up for 9.95 after a mail-in rebate according to another post in here somewhere. Well worth the money. I think that comes to a savings of 190.05 if I'm not mistaken. I suppose I could buy a ipod mini with my savings. That's what I call getting what I pay for:)
  25. tateusmaximus macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    Well said!

i feel sorry for the original poster!!

listen to you guys. mperhaps hes just trying to help anyone else out because he was thinking he had to buy the base station and realised he could save a few dollars by going with a different brand (which i might add probably works just as well) and hes trying to share the love...

now i dont see why it takes 10 fellow forum members to bring him down on such petty things as grammar and spelling. if i picked up everyone on their spelling and grammar, do you think the threads would flow nicely for the reader? NO.

and remember, NOT all of the members have english as their first language! they might actually think they are doing pretty well to participate in a forum discussion in a language other than their own! and rightly so! do you think it is right for those people to have their posts proof-read before submitting??

so get off your high horses and step back a little. this is a community.
    everyone in it is different and have varying knowledge.

if his post saved 1 person around the globe from spending $100 when he didnt have to, then it was NOT a waste of a thread.

sorry if i misspelt something. lets not dwell on it.