airport security/x-ray

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by orijinal, Jul 16, 2006.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

is it alright to leave my powerbook/ipod/digital camera/memory cards in my backpack as it goes through the x-ray scanner at the security checkpoints of airports?

i've read that it should be alright, but the thing to watch out for is the walk-through metal detector, as these have very strong magnets; even the manual metal-detector wand is dangerous for such things.

enlighten me please, my flight is tuesday!

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

well you are told to take out your laptop and put it in a bin. Everything else you listed will be fine.

3. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

Yes, it's perfectly safe to leave your electronic devices in your backpack! :) I was at the airport just two weeks ago and saw plenty of laptops get x-rayed. Have a fun and safe trip!

4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Security in the US will ALWAYS make you take out your laptop. Security in Holland and France does not. Although scissors and lighters make it through US security and not European.

As long as you aren't putting through <800 ISO film you should be fine. However, it is not totally unheard of for cards to be wiped, so try not to take unbacked-up pictures from the honeymoon or the kid's first steps with you....other than that, have a good trip!

5. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

when you say take it out, do they still want me to run it through the x-ray? i'm not sure about my camera too, i have a sony 5-megapixel digital cam, does that fall into the safe range?

i'll be heading to europe, first time there i'm excited! thanks for the wishes.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes, it still goes through the machine but separately in their own 'tub'. It will be absolutely fine - do you have any idea what number of electronic devices go through those things every hour? If there was a problem, it would have been highlighted.

Just to confuse things, in the UK, some airports make you take laptops out, and others don't.

7. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Anyone know why we still have to take off our shoes? Even if there is no metal in them?

8. Timepass macrumors 65816

shortly after 9/11 a guy smuggled a small explosive onto the the plane in the solo of his shoe. Since there was no metal in the device metal detectors didnt pick it up. Now they make you take them off and they run it though the xray.

As for putting device though the x-ray just make sure you pull out your laptop an put it in it own bin.

My general pratic when I fly iI use 3 bins to send my stuff though. 1 bin for laptop bag. 1 ben for carry on 2 (backpack), and 1 bin for laptop, shoes and what ever is in my pockets (normally wallet, cellphone, car keys). I empty out my pockets out of habit. I find it easier to just put everything in there than bother trying to figure out what is what.

Oh and lastly I recomend you wear shoes that are easy to take on and off when flying.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I fly I dress like I do for a cat scan. Shorts held up with a drawstring, no metal or snaps, a t-shirt and flip flops. I dump my wallet into tray and just keep walking.

No stopping no waiting. Just envy from everyone else.

10. Timepass macrumors 65816

that one way to do it. I still like my pockets so it shorts no belt, flip flops, and normally a t-shirt of some type (about all I ever wear any how). Now I do have to stop at securtiy to get my carry on ready (no way in hell my laptop going to go under the plane). only extra thing really to take off is my watch. only metal that goes with me though detector are my glasses. If that sets them off then something is wrong onthere end. Besides they are made out of a non magnetic metal and with out one of the 3 magnectic elements in it they are not going be pick up.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. I never seem to when I fly from London but often do from Munich.

Also most airports these days make you take off any coat/jacket you might be wearing and put that through the X-Ray machine.

All my gadgets get X-Rayed 10 or more times a year. They all survive it just fine and I've never had anything wiped by the process.

12. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I don't know if the "shoe bomber" would have been caught by passing his shoes through the x-ray.

As for the flip-flops. The unfortunate side effect is a large amount of people crammed into a plane breathing recycled "feet" air. Yummy.

13. Timepass macrumors 65816

I think they would of. that meteal does show up on xrays or at least the odd shap void in it woudl of.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And you've got less chance of being upgraded... :rolleyes: