Airport Security

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ross Henderson, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ross Henderson macrumors member

Ross Henderson

Does anyone know if any of Apple's Airport products have strict/customisable firewalls (do I need another hardware firewall as a backbone) or support WPA2?

I'm installing a wireless network that needs to be very secure. I've learned that the WEP standard has various problems and I don't see it as an option. The Airport Express (apparently) supports WPA, but is this only the first incarnation? If not then what brands would you people recommend? I need a router that supports all OS's. Mac OS X, BSD (all Unix variants) and Windows and I could use some opinions.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The AirPort Expresses support WEP, WPA, and WPA2, both Personal and Enterprise. I'd assume the Extremes support at least that.

3. Ross Henderson thread starter macrumors member

Ross Henderson

Ahh, that's brilliant! The firewall though, can it be administrated using a web interface or do I have to use an apple? Also, do they support MAC address filtering?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure it can only be managed from Apple's own AirPort Admin Utility which runs on Macs (obviously) and Windows (2000 plus from memory). Yes, you can filter MAC addresses. :)

5. Ross Henderson thread starter macrumors member

Ross Henderson

What software lets you edit the firewall in Windows? Sorry to keep asking but, does the airport extreme support demilitarised zones?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to download the AirPort Extreme manual, found here.

I don't think there's a web interface, but there's OS X and Windows software on the install disks.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To the best of my knowledge a management app comes on a disc with each AirPort as jsw said, but I forget the name. What's a demilitarised zone?

8. Ross Henderson thread starter macrumors member

Ross Henderson

It's usually called DMZ, its an unprotected virtual extension of a network.
    Nice link. Thank you.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't find anything resembling that in my AirPort Admin Utility or its Help component, which isn't promising. :eek:

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I've found the Linksys WRT54G to work well with many different platforms (and they do support DMZ). The AirPorts are nice but don't necessarily support the more advanced features... they tend to trade features for ease-of-use.

Edit: yes, you can set up a DMZ. Page 61 of this shows you how.

11. Ross Henderson thread starter macrumors member

Ross Henderson

I was going to buy the WRT54G until I realised the security features. Does this use of the Airport Admin mean that I can't install firmware updates and manage the Airport without an apple (or a machine with windows), because I think that will be the clincher.

Edit: Ok, I've checked on the apple web site and it requires a computer running Mac OS 10.1.5 or later.

12. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

If the WRT54G is the Netgear 104MBPS router, I have the same one at my home and it can be managed through a web interface. The firmware updates are managed from the web interface and are done automatically, as opposed to the linksys crap.