Airport - Self Assigned IP Address Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aziz2, Jun 28, 2005.

1. aziz2 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Whenever I connect to my wireless network at home, I have no problems. However if I go to a coffee shop or something, its a disaster, I can't connect to available networks.

The signal picks up but when I open Network Status thing, it says "Airport is connected to X network, but Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to change that.

I'm using a Powerbook G4 14" with Mac OS X Tiger.

What should I do folks?

- AA

2. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I have the opposite problem. I can get an IP address in every hotspot I've gone to, including work, but when I go home it just doesn't work. I'm going to undo my WiFi router tweaks and see what happens.

I do not blame my iBook's Airport.

3. SJR macrumors newbie

SJR

This is a bug that was introduced in 10.4.10 - I cannot connect wirelessly to my work wireless network even though my iPod Touch, N95 can connect perfectly!

Here's something even weirder... if I run Windows under Parallels, Windows can use the wireless network perfectly (even though the Mac side has a self-assigned IP address) - it is definitely an OSX bug.

I read somewhere that this would be fixed in 10.5.2 but it hasn't been :mad:

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I'm experiencing the "self-assigned IP address" using BOTH wired and wireless connections on my MacBook Pro, while on my iMac, I only experience a connectivity issue while attempting to connect wirelessly. That has not been a problem, as I normally connected via ethernet on my iMac. Still, though, I'm beginning to wonder why every wireless attempt times out on my iMac.

More importantly, both my MacBook Pro and iMac are running MacOS 10.5.2. Meanwhile, I also have a PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet that only has ethernet connectivity, but which has a good connection - it is running Mac OS 10.4.11.

I didn't experience any problems with connectivity on my MacBook Pro until around four days ago, and didn't experience any ethernet connection issues until today. I do not normally look to "blame" the OS first, but at this point, I'm beginning to think it was something that got changed with the 10.5.2 update.

I also have a Boot Camp partition on my MacBook Pro. I was able to successfully get a valid DHCP IP assignment in Windows via ethernet, but am still no joy via wireless. This is extremely frustrating, but I'll probably end up going to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can help me troubleshoot this issue.

I temporarily got wireless connectivity under Leopard three days ago - here's what I did. I opened up Keychain Access and deleted the two entries for my wireless AP then rebooted. That not only did not work today, but even when I plugged in the ethernet cable, I was unable to pull a valid IP address. I really hope that Apple will be able to resolve this issue.

HawaiiMacAddict

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Update - Wireless and Wired access is back !!!

Aloha everyone,

I finally got internet connectivity back, but on the wireless and wired sides !!! I have a Linksys WRT54G and all I had to do was update the firmware and restart the device. Now I'm in like Flynn!

HawaiiMacAddict