Airport settings question......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jbrown, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I can't seem to find any info on this in Apple Help, or the knowledge base....

In the menu bar there is the wireless/Airport icon that shows if its on/off, and if its on how strong the signal strength is. In the drop down menu is a field called ' Used Interference Robustness '. What is this, and how should you use it. Pros and cons of having it on or off?

Sometimes when its on I have trouble with getting a signal, and if I turn it off I will then geta connection.

thanks all.....

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

It helps you use the airport in the face of other devices. For example, my phone operated at 2,4 GHz (what airport uses) and the phone would often kick me offline if I turned it on since it's signal was stronger. Turning on robustness helped keep me from getting kicked off. Other pros, or any cons, I don't know, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I never noticed anything bad, though.

3. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Base station Interference Robustness, provides improved performance when 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones and wireless video distribution system cause significant interference with the AirPort network. One downfall is that it can reduce the range of the wireless network. So, if you don't have any 2.4Ghz phones / baby monitors in your vicinity you can probably leave it off.

aussie_geek

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That's right! Range, I forgot it messed with the range. Thank you, I feel better now.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Don't you have to turn Interference Robustness on both on your laptop AND on the Airport base station?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont believe so, i believe either one will work just fine, but i could be wrong