Airport setup: keeps dropping connection after sleep/restart

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skp574, Feb 12, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

I have a Powerbook and an iMac G5 and they both have the same problem.

Whenever I restart or wakeup from slepp they drop their wireless connection. I have to manually enter the SSID and WEP key every time. This is getting a little annoying.

I am connecting to a non-Apple access point (3com OfficeConnect Wifi router).

I am a recent switcher, and find this a little bit weird that I have to do this each time. Am I going something wrong?

I have checked out the Apple support pages about connecting to non Apple access points

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I now know my WEP key off by heart!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

And you have tied your computers to the airport in your network connections. That they will always log onto a certain Base station and use a certain password when at that location.

System Preferences, Network, click on your Airport and you should see something like what I have attached. Change it to join a specific network, and put in your password. Then, when your computers wake up from sleep, at that LOCATION (note, at the top it says location, so you can make multiple settings or networks that you join to. Like I have a home network and a Work network. So all I have to change when I go home tonight is to change my location to home, and it automatically changes the Base Station I want to join to and the wep key.) it should automatically join that network you specify.

Now if you have multiple locations, you can access them easily by clicking on the Apple in the top left, going to location, and choosing where you are at, and you will join the Base station you chose for that location.

Attached Files: