Airport Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BadExample, May 23, 2002.

1. BadExample macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I got the Airport Base Station and I got it to work with my PC through the LAN (Im on it now), but my cable modem is in the WAN slot and is not being found by the airport in my TiBook...What do I do? the instructions on the Airport Disc and manual do not help to remedy this situation....
    Anyone got any idea? if so let me know...thanks

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have you run "Airport Setup Assitant" or any of the software that came with it?

Those should pretty much lead you through the setup process.

3. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I have, but not Airport Admin Utility cannot locate my base station, so I cannot set it up as a DCHP Server, which is what I am told I need to do....

4. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I'll take a shot...

As my Airport is the original one (w/only 1 ethernet slot), I am not sure that this is necessarily the solution. However, I would first try to change one setting (or two) in the Airport Admin Utility.

First, in the "Internet" tab, make sure you are connecting to the internet using Ethernet (not the modem). Make sure you are using DHCP. This should probably fix it.

If not, in the "Nework" tab, make sure three boxes are checked--"Distribute IP addresses (Share a single IP address)", "Enable DHCP server on Ethernet", and "Enable AirPort to Ethernet bridging".

If this doesn't do it, your (newer) base station is too different for me to help.

Chris

5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Hm...

If your Airport Admin Utility isn't finding your base station, things start to get more complicated. I have dealt with this before, though.

Have to run. If this still isn't resolved by the time I get back, I will reply further.

Good luck,
    Chris

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have you made Airport active in the network panel of System Prefs?

Do you see the base station in the pull-down list?

7. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

I did see it in network prefs, and al the info i need is in there, and it is in the pull down list by the airport radar icon, and the network is checked off as well, so I dont really understand why it is not working on Airport Admin Utility...

Thanks

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The only other thing I can think of is to reset the base station by cycling the power.

I can help you more when I get home to my Airport...

9. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

cycling the power? just turning it off and reconnecting the base?

let me know

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah. Unplug the power and ALL ethernet connections, then let it sit for a couple of minutes.

Then reattach the power, wait for it to come all the way up, and then attach the Cable modem (WAN), then the LAN.

Double check connection via the PC, and then retry the Airport.

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I'd go one step further...

When you power cycle, turn off the cable modem, too. Then, in order, power up each part of the process - modem, then airport, then computers - taking time between for each to powerup properly.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: I'd go one step further...

Good suggestion. It's funny how that's the first thing all the broadband tech support people tell you to do...

So, BadExample, I'm back home now on my Airport if you need anymore help.

13. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah this is still not working, i did it all; cycling the power, but it will not find the base through airport admin...
    whats goin on? my internet from the LAN in the airport works, i am using it to type these replies....
    i dont know how this works out?!?!??!

14. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

LAN in the airport?

What do you mean by this? There isn't a LAN in the base station, so I am guessing you are referring to the modem in there. Is your connection dial-up speed or fast (like your cable modem)? I guess I am confused.

One other thing, have you installed the Airport software on your Mac? Also, are using OS X? If so, have you checked your settings in your Network control panel?

Chris

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: LAN in the airport?

The Base Station 2 has a LAN port in addition to the WAN port.

16. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Re: LAN in the airport?

Okay. I get that. But how is he connecting to the internet? Is the cable modem actually providing his internet access, or is it the modem?

So, again, do you have the Airport software installed on your computer. Are you using OS X?

Chris

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: LAN in the airport?

Cable modem, it's in his first post.

18. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

airport woes...

the cable modem is providing me with the access....but it in OSX, it does not recognize the base station....
    I don't know whats going on, because I reset the station and I also reinstalled the software...

thanks..

19. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

okay..when I reinstall the software after I reset the base, the setup assistant says "you cannot join a station that has DHCP turned off, please go to Airport Admin Utility" when I do that, it will not and cannot recognize or find my base.....

20. Quark macrumors regular

Don't Panic,... yet

BadExample,

I have almost the EXACT setup that you do. Cable Modem, hardwired the Airport2 to a switch with M$ PCs connected to it, my Mac (the new iMac) is downstairs connected wirelessly.

All of it works, but I had to jump a few hoops. I am currently away from the house, but I will give you information that will get you going with little to no pain - hopefully.

I'll have to gather everything together (I think I have it all in one place by the Mac). You'll see another post from me over the next few days.

Don't Panic -- be patient.

Take care,
    Quark

21. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...I can definetly wait.

Talk to you later thanks for the help everyone..

22. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Re: Re: Re: LAN in the airport?

No, it isn't.

It says that he has a cable modem connected, but it wasn't clear that the base station was configured correctly to access it. I was trying to figure out if the base station was accessing the cable modem or if it was using the modem built into it. I try not to make assumtions when troubleshooting--it makes everything take longer.

Thanks for the help, though, Rower.

Chris

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAN in the airport?

Yeah, it is. He said quite clearly that his PC was connecting to it via the LAN port in the Base Station.

I'm still waiting to see how this will be resolved. My Airport setup was completely painless, and I'm amazed that nothing has been figured out yet.
    Unless of course, he somehow made a closed network and hasn't entered the right password...:p

24. Quark macrumors regular

Here's Some Info.

Read my previous thread first: Airport Help. Even though it appears to be a little off of your topic, the information and links contained within will be enlightening.

Here are links to 2 specific articles that got me all the answers I needed:
    Reloading Software from Mac OS X
    How To Reset

I would be more than happy to assist you directly via e-mail if you need more specific information.

Instead of creating a "Closed Network", try creating a regular DHCP network first. Then go into the Airport Admin program and go into the Access tab and add your ID from the Airport card in your notebook. I added mine as the only one and it will not allow any other to use it except for that one, wirelessly. If you have additional Airport cards, just add them to the list of authorized connections.

Also, go ahead and force the following settings (this will further limit who can use your wireless network - several non-Airport cards are not compatible with these settings):
    Channel: (anything, other than the default)
    Station density: High
    Multicast rate: 11 mb/s

Good Luck!

Quark

25. BadExample thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally...

Thanks for the help guys; it is finally up and working. This message is coming from my PBG4.....thanks a bunch for helping me out again!

Paul:)