Airport sharing and network problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shagydog, Nov 16, 2006.

1. shagydog macrumors newbie

Hi all

I’m a newbie to the Mac world but I think they are great machines that being said here is my problem:

I have got Airport sharing turned on to Ethernet, and a Pc connected to the Ethernet.
    So far so good it works fine my Pc connects to the internet.
    What I am trying to do is access from the Pc the workgroup shared files (I have many Pc in my network > workgroup 15 all together) and the only machine I can access is the Mac and the Pc itself. I understand this is because the shared airport is acting as a dhcp and it’s giving out an ip address that is not in the range of my router setup?
    If I try to manually enter an ip address to the Ethernet it cuts out the airport connection to the internet so my question is: is there a way around to connect to the other machines in the workgroup with the Pc?

Thanks for your time

Shagydog

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you share an internet connection, the devices you are sharing to are on a different subnet. That is so you reduce the chances of you interfering from the other network.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds like you have a wireless router to begin with, but it has no hub/switch.

I think the easiest would be to replace it with one that has a built-in enet switch. Then the PC and the Mac are both connected through a single router.

4. shagydog thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to bridge 2 connetions with a mac like with windows ? Because i think that would solve my problems. :D

5. shagydog thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again

Btw found out how to acesse my shared filles over the network;

For example :

in the browser on the pc type \\192.168.0.100\programs

et voila you should have your shared filles apper :D

And works fine with the xbox to hehe :cool:

Thanks all for your replys