airport so expensive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by goodtimes5, Aug 19, 2004.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I have a G5 tower, iMac, old-school imac, and ibook that I want to connect to SBC dsl, which I plan to buy soon. (Can you believe the fools at SBC who wouldn't let me buy wired internet since "no one uses it anymore" and don't even know if their programs are compatible with mac?) So it turns out SBC has no wireless cards for macs, and they told me to go buy the Airport cards I told them about. I can't justify spending $300 just for Airport cards.

So I'm interested in these wireless USB adapters that are cheaper. The problem with living in a Windows world is you never know if equipment will work on a mac. Does anyone know which wireless USB adapters work with mac?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Um if you want to share your Internet connection wirelessly to one or more computers, all ISPs will tell you they dont have cards for Macs because...Apple's the only one who makes internal wifi cards for Macs. omg what a surprise! :rolleyes: Obviously. Sure you can get third party stuff, but Apple is like ...yeah..you get the idea.
    I have SBC DSL. wtf are you talking about? I've chatted with the folks down at Mac tech support recently and they've been more than helpful even though they didn't always have what I was looking for. Uhhh my installation package comes with Mac install stuff, but like the SBC-branded web browser and **** like that is Windows only. Besides there are better Mac alternatives. And everything that SBC Yahoo offers service-wise is compatible with all Macs. And wtf is `wired internet`?! You mean just the package with DSL only or what?

You ahve more than one computer, so why don't you get a wireless base station/access point first? Connect all the ones you can using wired ethernet to the base station (get one with an ethernet port or two on it) and then only buy cards for the ones that need to be connected (unless the desktops are far away from each other).
    As for the USB adapters I'm not sure about that, but I did get one for cheap and it was Windows only from Belkin, check out whatever Linksys/D-Link/Netgear has to offer in terms of that..

But for the iBook its a good idea to get an Airport card, just so its less of a hassle. If its a G3 iBook get the regular Airport card, if its a G4 iBook get Airport Express (well you have to...).
    For some cheap deals look on ebay or apple store's online refurb page.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

have you considered cable instead? if one company won't sell you what you want, go elsewhere. I have a hard time believing they don't sell hard wired services anymore. I mean, lots of people have wifi, but most don't. Just tell them you want to install a single outlet hard wired to your single computer. Then buy a wireless router (can be had for like 30-40 bucks if you shop around) and a couple of airport cards or adaptors if you want wireless, or just hardwire it all together.

As for adaptors, I've heard a lot of problems with the USB one's and flaky mac support. linksys makes ethernet bridges that don't require drivers so they work great (got one msyelf) though they are more expensive.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

SBC does sell it, i have no idea what the original poster is talking about because i got the package with (obviously) wired DSL only. All other networking hardware is mine, except for the DSL modem..

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have SBC as well. Basically they will sell you a wireless router/modem that DOES have an ethernet jack. You can use OSX built in PPPoE software or the miserable app they include.

Next, to network many macs buy a simple HUB and plug into the ethernet jacl and you have a wired network.

If you DO want wireless, then you have options. Airport is the best as its ZERO config compared to some other brands. Cost wise, some other USB devices will work, but are not much cheaper than Apple products. Check www.macwireless.com for details.

SOME PC wireless will work if you use http://www.orangeware.com/ drivers. These DO cost money but you can save some cash on hardware first.

6. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I think SBC was just trying to make money when they told me they wouldn't sell me hardwired dsl. I want a wired network simply because it's easier to set up, but the only problem is that the computers are spread throughout corners of a two-floor house. So that's a lot of drilling and ethernet cable.

If you tell SBC that you're only buying dsl for one computer, and then u secretly buy a router and hook up others, can SBC detect that and dish out the extra charges?

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

if they do, i have yet to see extra fees and stuff on my bill :D
    It's what a router is for.

8. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Get a job hippy maybe then airport wont seem expensive.

Its like buying a bmw and then complaining that the ipod for the glovebox costs too much.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

not a very nice thing to say :rolleyes:

10. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

As far as the ISp could tell, there would only be one computer attached, the router (whcih is a computer of sorts). They'd have to do some seriously invasive stuff to tell if you have a router sharing a connection. Definltey don;t pay them extra for networking.

12. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

The set up I use is a D-Link wireless router. It has 4-port ethernet which my G5 and eMac are hardwired to. I have the wireless capabilty just in case I need it later. At one time I also used a wireless USB device with my older Mac (the one before I got the G5). It worked OK but I never had 100% faith in it. You can try one to see if it suites your needs. If not return it for a refund.

When it's all said and done, I have a feeling you will end up with AirPort. :D