AirPort Software Base Station Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Aug 7, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Is the "AirPort Software Base Station" software come out yet? Because read the last sentence on this website (on Apple's site) http://www.apple.com/airport/swbase/

I just want to know, oh and does the software base station work on the older cards? And are the older cards as fast as the new ones? Thanks!:D ;) :rolleyes:

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think SW Base Station will come out with Mac OS X.2

Ensign

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh...

Ok, now if I only knew if there was a difference between the old AirPort cards and the new ones.....hhhhmmmmmm

LIKE MY NEW SIGNITURE?

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

As far as I am aware there is not a difference between the original and the current cards.

What do you think of my quote signiture? I bet most people can't guess where it is from.

Ensign

5. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

the older cards can be updated by installing the latest airport software. The difference is in the encryption.

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Anyone have any idea on the range you can get using the SW basestation? Is it as good as using a hardware basestation?

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Range

From experience here at home with an iBook/600, PowerBook Pismo, and a PM G4(The SWBase Station), the range is decent enough to cover a 2-story house with about 2000 square feet. I don't think you'll get near the range of the ABS, but it is plenty good for a home or small office I think. Just my 2¢.

Gus

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Whoops

I forgot to mention that the PowerMac MUST be in OS 9 to run SWBase Station right now. Hopefully OS X 10.2 will change this.

Gus

9. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Apparently it is not well known that you can configure a powermac as a sw base station in os 10.1, but you can do it. I use it in my house. Search this site for more info. You will find a thread describing how to do it.

Please dont respond telling me you cant do it. If you dont know how after reading the thread on this site, please ask.

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose