AirPort speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aussie_geek, Jul 16, 2005.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    I have a few questions about AirPort Extreme. When transferring files from my Airport equipped G5 to my wired G4 I achieve 10Mbps. Also I achieve these speeds when transferring files between my PowerBook and G5 - both on AirPort.

However, when pulling a file from the G4 up to the G5 I achieve about 20 - 22Mbps. Why is this so?

Also, I am considering buying a Dr Bott omni antenna to boost the signal strength around the house to compensate for my PowerBook's lack of reception. Are these any good? Will it make much of a difference?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Even if AirPort Extreme aka. 802.11g has a theoretical speed of 55 Mbps, you cannot expect to achieve anywhere near that. A good rule of thumb is that about half of that will, under normal circumstances, get used for maintenance and noise. So just as with AirPort aka. 802.11b with a theoretical speed of 11 Mbps you can only expect about 5.5 Mbps actual throughput, with 802.11g you cannot expect more than ~27 Mbps under optimal conditions.

If there's other wireless nets nearby, someone using Bluetooth in the room, you or a neighbor using certain kinds of cordless phones or even someone using a microwave nearby all that will interfere, and give you less actual bandwidth. All things considering, 20-22 isn't that bad, and you might get a bit better result with better antennas, but don't expect too much.
  3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Have you tried changing the channels on your AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express base stations? Using Macstumbler, you can look at which channels your neighbor's routers (base stations) are using and try to avoid those channels. That may help improve your signal strength, congestion, and transfer speeds.

Also, many people are purchasing these "extreme G" routers that are actually broadcasting using two G antennas to achieve higher transfer speeds. Unfortunately, these "extreme G" routers can cause interference problems for everyone else with basic g and b networks. :mad:
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I don't know about the Dr. Bott, but for about the same money you could also get an airport express to extend your range. I have that setup, and it works quite well.