Airport Stereo Connection Kit -- Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jdebeer, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jdebeer macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out whether the RCA cable included with the Airport Express Stereo Connection Kit is any different than the Monster RCA cable sold separately (Monster iCable for iPod Stereo 7ft.). The separate cable is roughly the same price as the whole kit. Great deal or different products?

Jd.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I don't have it, but if all you want is a cable to hook your AE to your receiver, I wouldn't spend the money on either the kit or the monster cable. Go to Radio Shack or Fry's and get yourself a cheap 1/8 inch jack stereo to RCA cable (for analog). It would run you about $7 US, IIRC.

If you are looking to go optical, the you can get a smiliar cable there as well, but I do analog, so I don't know what those cost.

I think that monster cables, while decent, are generally overpriced.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I second that ^^^

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I got the stereo connection kit open box at CompUSA for $20. I believe the RCA cable is the same one you can buy everywhere. I use the optical cable for the APE and the RCA cable for my iPod. I wouldn't buy the kit for the $40 that Apple wants for it but if you can find it cheaper somewhere, go for it.

I also like having the extension cord for the APE, it looks nice as part of my entertainment center and gets better reception then stuck on the wall behind it.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It's a different cable. The one in the Apple kit, is smaller around, and I think its shorter. I got it, so I guess you can say I think its worth it.

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Here here

I agree with the comment about the Radio Shack trip. I do that myself and the quality is going to be the same unless you're running a Carver amp or some fancy tube amp. Most people aren't going to notice the difference.
    Monster cables are overpriced and made for Best Buy consumers who don't know any better.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hear hear! I was at Circuit City a couple weeks ago buying a CD. I remembered I also needed an outlet strip and went back to see what they had. All they had was Monster stuff that ranged from $50 (the CHEAPEST) to over $200. For a ****ing outlet strip. Needless to say I went to Target and got one for $8.

8. dont24 macrumors regular

Is the sound quality better using a digital cable?

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

It would depend on how good your speakers, receiver, and ears are.

10. dont24 macrumors regular

Speakers and Receiver is are very good, IMO. Ears, that's another story.
    I may stop by the local Rat Shack and see if they have the cable available.

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim