Airport to connect to the internet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Soaren, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Soaren macrumors newbie

Hello,
    This is my first post here, I wish I would of known about this site along time ago.
    Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to connect one computer to the internet using and airport card through another computer that is connected to the internet, that has an airport card as well. Can this be done? Or do you have to have a base station? I don't know if I am being clear enough, so ask questions if I am not.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Soaren

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

welocome dude...
    yes you can..
    1.if the comp connectd to internet uses ethernet, goto system prefs-sharing..then click 'internet' tab..there wd be 'share your connection from'..select etherhnet..
    then ther wd be 'to computer using'..select airport..if you wanna set a passowrd, you can click airport options..
    2. if the comp is connected to internet wirelessly, then you wd need an ethernet cable, 'share your connection' you wd select airport
    'to computer using' u wd select ethernet..
    3. if you wanna both computers to be totally wirelss, you wd need a router..
    cheers

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

ARRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

SPELLCHECK!!!! GRAMMAR!!!! How much longer does it take to spell out WOULD? Students are starting to use these kinds of abbreviations in papers now.....HUGE pet peeve.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

:eek: :D..i m too sleepy..n bored...

5. Soaren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks abhishekit

Thanks for the info abhishekit, I'll have to try it in a couple of days when my roomate gets his airport card. Now, with the airport card does it have to be line of site, or will it go through walls? The distance between the two computers is about 20 feet, but there are walls in between. The reason I ask is because we were messing around with Bluetooth, and it seemed to be line of site. Also, it looks like you can connect his computer with the Bluetooth option as well, is that right?
    Thanks again for the info,
    Soaren

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

you are welcome..
    no you dont need to be in the line of sight for Airport. Infact you dont have to be in line of sight of bluetooth either. But it works upto short distances, so may be 20 feet is bit more than that..
    to connect to his computer using bluetooth, it would need a bit more work..you will have to activate the PPP server to listen to bluetooth port.I havent tried it myself, but I know applecripts are available for that..Other members here may be able to help you in that..
    cheers

did not use 'wd' in this message :D