Airport to Linksys Router using wep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WhiteKnuckles, Feb 29, 2004.

1. WhiteKnuckles macrumors newbie

This was originally posted by seamuskrat But im having problems I use the wep key given but have no idea how to hehadecimal passwords I know "$" but no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated.

seamuskrat
    I have the joys of a mixed network with many brands, including Dlink, Apple and LinkSys.

In a nutshell, with WEP off all play nicely with zero hassle. With WEP on, third party cards work fine with APE basestation, BUT APE cards are hard to get going on the thirdparty basestations cause you have to enter passwords in Hexadecimal.
    In the end its all doable, but can be a pain and is not plug and Forget as an all Apple solution is.

2. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I've felt the pain. I have two linksys WAP11 2.2 AP's and cannot get the WEP security working with Airport Extreme (AE). I tried the Hexadecimal and Password at 64, 128, and 256 bit with no luck. So the only thing I have going now for any type of security is MAC address only access. I'd use this anyway with WEP (and wep is not secure, at all), but can't get it to work. I have a few different computers using this wireless network and the AE is the only thing giving me hassels, but it works well without wep and is easy to configure.. brainless configuration.

I also tried using the $ infront of the hexadecimal and password, with no luck. Running Panther too..

3. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

first of all

if you are worried about security then wep is not the way to go... ask anyone who knows alot about hacking... (i dont, ive just heard so much about wep being useless) use wpa insead, it is much more secure... also use ip address filtering and mac address filtering to add more security...

4. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Thanks for the insight... However, I'd have to buy two new access points. I already use MAC address filtering. And have a limited number of IP addresses issued on my router, which is linux and has a built in firewall. Nonetheless, it wouldn't be bad to have wep even if it sucks. Just to get it to work with AE.