Airport update for OS X (10.1.x)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AlphaTech, Jun 21, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Apple has released an update for the Airport software (for the card and base station). The new version is available via the software update software. It puts you to version 2.0.4 and goes painlessly (as do most of Apple's updates). After you download the update (and it installs) the next time you go to check your base station (connect using the admin utility) you will be notified that there is a new version of the software. Allow it to update so that the current versions are on both the system with the card and the base station.

Here is a rundown of what's new....

• The AirPort Setup Assistant configures the base station with America Online (AOL) account information and configures the AOL client with the correct location and AirPort settings.
    • The ability to dial into the base station through a standard PPP phone connection, allowing remote access to the base station and the computers on the AirPort wireless and wired network.
    • Compatible with Windows clients that use Point PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol) or IPSec (without authenticated headers) style VPN (Virtual Private Network).
    • Supports multiple connections to port mapped services.

Product Description:
    AirPort 2.0.4 software works with all versions of AirPort cards and base stations. If you are using AirPort 2.0.4 with earlier versions of the Apple AirPort Card and/or Apple AirPort Base Station, your hardware may be upgraded with new features and capabilities.

2. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

well, i uuderstood half of that, i think.

Is there any info on the airports being able to be used with server software like
    Carracho? I wanted to start a server but I was told by a friend that the base station doesnt map ports properly?

3. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Dunno... You could try it and see if it works... What do you have to loose???

BTW, since I did the restore, as well as this update (and the network one) the airport card has maintained it's connection with my base station (all of 6' +/- away from the laptop). Since they are talking rain for tomorrow (rat bastard weather people), I will be able to really test out the connection stability.

As for understanding it, come on Grokgod, it's not like I posted it in Russian or something. :p :D

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm willing to bet this is what my friend Heidi needs to do with her Ti. She's been having some bigtime signal problems with her airport. U did say that Apple replaced the airport, did u not?

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

They shipped me a new card last week. I installed it, but it really didn't resolve the issue. DAMN YOU SHARITY!!!!!!! The full restore and updates seems to have resolved the issue, since it removed everything on the computer that was on there before that. I did back everything important up to one of my external firewire drives before going with the restore. Just too bad I had to recreate my auto-delete rules for mail... up to about 65 or so.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think that's what they are doing to Heidi's Ti. I haven't talked to her to find out if she got it back yet, but if it doesn't work, I'll be sure to tell her about the update. I doubt she checks regularly...:rolleyes:

7. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Why not??? What is she on, dial-up??? LOL!!!

I almost feel for the people forced to use a dial-up internet connection. Especially since I got my DSL service and the 2Mb/sec download speed. :D

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

nah...they have an airport network setup...cable modem...

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

My father has DSL at his store in NY, and he says that he can't stand dial-up [well, I had to clean it up a little :eek:]. At his store he says that pages load before his finger leaves the button. And it looks like for other reasons I will never get cable for at least a year or two.

I am jealous of all of you! I am even sick of dial-up. Why can't I at least get slow cable? :cool:

10. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Then she has no excuse for not updating... Set it to update for her once a week then... it's easy, and it will keep her up to date. Just make sure it is a time when she is on the computer, so that it will run... Although, I am sure it will run the next time it gets powered up if it isn't at that time.

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

~hey alpha

Is the update called Networking update 1.0

<ducking head after asking question>

cause thats all i see in my update, I was looking for airport bu this looks close.

12. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

you better...

You better duck Grokgod... :p :D

The networking update is seperate from the airport one. Do the network update and THEN have the software update run again. Chances are, it will then find the airport one... :p :D

13. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

ahh ha!

<sticking head up slowly..>

Thats interesting, had to download one update before the other was available.

< Ducking back under..>

14. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i dont think it would work since airport will create fake - so to speak - ip addresses so you can use more computers than static real ip address.

its basically the same story with linksys routers and such...

15. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

The ABS (Airport Base Station) will now work with the Carracho server. The issue was the port mapping in the previous version. Update your ABS (Airport Base Station) to the most recent software and it should work.

For more info/support visit:
    http://support.carracho.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277