Airport UTTERLY INTERMITTENT!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whyrichard, Sep 16, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

This is very frustrating, and it's getting worse!

my airport is intermittent, this is worse then LAX!

it simple drops the signal, as if it's going out of range, and then i need to manually select it again.

this is on a macbook pro, but my girlfriends laptop it experiencing it at the same time.

it is very frustrating. how do i trouble shoot the airport?

it is an airport extreme base station.

r.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you have a cordless phone, old microwave oven, or similar?

If not: Use something like iStumbler to see if you have any other networks interfering with your network and, if so, move it to a free channel, or at least a channel with weak signals.

3. Trebz macrumors member

same symptoms after 10.4.8 upgrade

I just got my new MB yesterday. It was working like a champ. Now, since the 10.4.8 update, I have to manually select the wireless network avery couple of minutes.

I have it added to the preferred networks, and I have selected interface robustness. Any thoughts?

4. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

I have this issue, only when I'm on battery (with 10.4.7 and 10.4.8). If I have the power plugged in, I have no issues.

5. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Exactly the same for me. It seems to go a hell of a lot slower too at times.

7. ruskiwi macrumors member

Make sure you have checked "Use Interference Robustness" in the airport menu (if you have the icon for airport showing on your menubar, top right). I had this problem on a computer-to-computer airport network with my new MBP, but checking that option on both computers fixed it.

8. Domina macrumors newbie

Other things to try (I've been having the same problem with my G5 - it does seem to be linked to 10.4.8, there's some discussion on the Apple Support boards as well):

- revert to Airport firmware 5.5.1 (download from Apple, run the installer); this seems to be the most stable firmware for the Airport at the moment
    - run something like Macaroni to make sure all the daily/weekly/monthly Unix background repair jobs are up to date
    - set multicast point (in Airport Admin Utility, Wireless Options) to 2 - seems to reduce noise

These two and moving the G5 & Airport to get a better signal range seem to have worked (so far, fingers crossed). Signal strength is now a reasonably stable 40%, as opposed to the previous 0%-5%. iStumbler is very useful in figuring all this out, as is iPulse for general information.

[Edit] I love the Regent Street Apple Store, btw - I went in, intending to buy a new Airport Base Station because nothing had worked ... the sales guy in the store took me over to go talk to a tegh guy before spending any money, and it was the tech guy who told me about Macaroni. And told me not to buy a new base station until I'd tried it. I do like these people.

9. scott523 macrumors 6502a

10. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

It disappoints me that this update does not include the imac core duo. I've been having massive wireless problems that seem to have no solution, and I've followed every single suggestion I could find on Apple's support forums. This is a serious 10.4.8 problem that they haven't addressed properly. Trashing the System Configuration folder from the Library has helped a bit, but it's just gone doing the same thing again a few days later. On off, on off, can't find any networks self assigned IP addresses - do something, Apple! :mad:

11. Yigit macrumors newbie

Similar problem here,

The connection (802.1x) always disconnects, like every few minutes even seconds, then automatically tries to connect again, and while "authenticating" it just freezes there. So every time I have to open "internet connect" and i have to cancel and connect again to be able to use it.

(Even it has been happened a few times while writing this post.)

Another Macbook user using the uni's connection has exactly the same problem...