airport vs windows 98SE problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andevo, Oct 17, 2003.

1. andevo macrumors newbie

i tried to get my dads old laptop up on the airport network today. the computer is to bad to install XP so i have to use WIN98SE. ive connected a couple of XP computers to the same network and its been pretty easy with the built in network connector. I have to use the software that came with the wireless network card on this old laptop. i cant get the machine to connect with the password. ive tried both hexadesimal and regular. the software that came with the card is terrible.

anyone know some third party software i can use that will work? or anything i can do in WIN98 to fix this?

ok, thanks!

2. Dr. No macrumors regular

Laptop type

What are the exact specs of the laptop?

You might be able to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional-- it is much better.

3. andevo thread starter macrumors newbie

its a PII 266 with 32 mb of ram. it runs ok under win98 im not sure with 2000, never used it. can you connect to wifi networks in 2000 using some built in program like in XP?

4. Dr. No macrumors regular

I don't think Windows 2000 has a built in program, but networking runs a lot smoother.

You will need 128 MB RAM to use 2000, though.

Also, what wireless card are you using?

5. wr0x2 macrumors member

You can get away with running 2k with less than 128 MB ram, performance just won't be stellar ;).

I've put it on a thinkbrick P 166 32 MB ram.