Airport/WiFi reception and PowerBooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, Apr 26, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

I saw mentioned in one of the threads that someone's PB doesn't get as good Airport recept. as the iBook or iMac. I have a friend who had a tiBook and he complains of this all the time, says he was told the titanium gets in the way of the reception somehow? I totally didn't believe this, but is there any truth to it and what about the new al books? Ihave a g3 pismo and I get stellar reception everywhere. I live in NYC where there are wifi networks everywhere but since some are public they aren't as strong. Does the PB get sub-par recpetion compared to previous models? It wouldn'nt be the deciding factor (I'm probably still going get one) but I'm just curious.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I believe at least part of the problem with the TiBooks was the orientation of their antennas - they were alongside the keyboard, which meant they were perpendicular to the antennas of most base stations.

I have an 15" AlPB and haven't had any problems with signal strength or range.

3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have a TiBook and have NEVER had this problem. It's false, as far as I've seen. I live in Oviedo (not WIFI crowded), but my router does have to broadcast through a wall and a ceiling/floor for a medium distance. Even with this, I get 4 or 5 bars about 95% of the time.

4. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

You must be lucky,
    1. my Airport Status bar only has 4 bars.
    2. my TiBook SUCKED. I bought a Linksys BOOSTER and although I got a signal of 4 bars in my apartment, If I walked outside, I got ZERO signal.
    3. my AlBook 12" is marginally better. If I am in any room BUT the room where the router is, I get 3 bars. I can go out on the deck but if I am not facing the right direction I get 2 or less.

My iBook G4 is WAY better. I can walk to the end of my block and still have a Full Signal. I can go into my neighbor's house and go into her basement and still have a full signal. PowerBooks in general do not have great reception. I mean think about this...if you don't use an external antennae on a G5, you can't get a signal. Metal is a badddddd conductor for wireless.

Just my 0.02 cents.

macboyx

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really..

Bad conductor? Pretty much a wireless BLOCKER. The new pbooks have antennas built into the side of the monitor, so they are a vast improvement over the Tibook. However, being plastic, the iBook's reception was vastly better for me (G3 iBook compared to 17" 1.33ghz pbook).

6. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

It's true. The iBooks have MUCH better reception than the powerbooks. Shouldn't the whole powerbook be an antenna? I mean, it's metal....

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Not that right kind of metal, unfortunately.

8. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

My 12 inch 867 pb is amazing at picking up signals. I can get signals I am not even supposed to be getting. I didn't know there was so much wireless out there. I even live in a little town. Reception has never been an issue.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The signal reception on my aluminum PowerBook is about 95% coming from the Linksys router I have and it seems to give me a good 80-90% throughout the apartment.