AirPort Wireless Card, When's It Going Pre-N?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwong2006, Feb 17, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

May 16, 2006
    Those cards that are on sale in Apple Store, when are they going Pre-N?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Presumably, soon.

The built-in ones already are.

But that doesn't mean there will ever be an 'n' version for older Macs.
  3. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    There won't be an N version for older Macs ever. When Apple went from b to g the new g cards were not compatible with the older Macs that were designed for the b cards.

In fact, now that all Macs I think have wireless built in already they might not even make an N version at all. At least not as a user installable part you can buy from the store.
  4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2006
    in the mac pro you have to pay extra for the card, its not on the motherboard
  5. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2004
    I think in the not too distant future, that will no longer be the case.

At some, presumably sooner than later, Apple will no longer sell a separate wifi card as all will be built in.
  6. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    it would make sense to simply sell N cards, they already build them for use in Mac Pro machines
    and it would be a little unfair to shortchange us early adopters who have Core Duo machines with no N and removable Airport cards.
    Plus I don't see the upgrade from B to G being the same, G to N is a HUGE leap, it's also quite future proof for the foreseeable future
    as for selling machines wirelessly enabled and therefore not selling the part separately, maybe, but there will always be a market for people wanting to upgrade, and even repair, maybe they will only sell them to licensed repair places?
    I guess time will tell, but here's hoping.