Airport Wireless Distribution

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mkubal, Jun 9, 2003.

1. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if it's possible to use wireless distribution between an extreme base station and an older one. I'm trying to use a graphite BS to extend the signal from an extreme.

I'm trying to do this by following the directions in the extreme setup guide in which they don't say specifically that it can't be done with a graphite, but they also don't make mention that it will work.

The problem is that when I go to select the connect with WDS option on the graphite the option isn't even there. This is why I'm thinking that it might not be possible.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i would just hook up the base station on the network and two wireless signals. and then just tell system prefs to connect to whatever has the best signal. that may work better.

iJon

3. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's an option, but I'm really looking to use it as a signal boost. With two basestations in the same place I would likely get about the same coverage area whereas putting them on different sides of the house would give me much more coverage area. (I have a single cable modem that is hooked into the extreme...just trying to get the signal to hop to the old basestation in a different room)

And from the lack of responses I would guess that no one really has an answer. I guess I could just ask the Apple genius in the mall, but they are kinda notorious for being completely clueless.

Matt

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i know what you wanna do, but you have to have 2 extreme base stations, i was just giving you an alternative.

iJon

5. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a