airport wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saga, May 22, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

Now that I have the wirless ability with the macbook, I would like to take advantage. What do I need to be able to go wireless with my book. I would like to be able to access the internet via my macbook or emac.

2. dylan macrumors 6502

As long as your not on dial-up an AirPort Express or just about any other wireless router.

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Or an unsuspecting neighbor! I kid, I kid! :D

I'm sipping coffee now, and typing this while at my local neighborhood cafe. Gotta love WiFi hotspots!

4. geoffism macrumors regular

geoffism

The Basics

If you have an internet connection coming into your home/apartment, then all you need is to set up the wireless connection. If your ISP provided you with a "wired" rounter, you might be able to swap it out for a wireless one (I think Comcast is leasing them of a couple bucks a month). If you have a Cat5 cable (DSL) or a cable modem, then you need to purchase a wireless rounter or access point. Linksys is very popular, but I had trouble with it and eventually swapped it out for a Netgear. Just make sure its a 802.11G (54 MPS). "N" is on it's way, but not quite sure when it is going to hit the market. If you want to be an Apple deciple, then you can grab the Airport.

Setting them up is very easy. They all come with installation CD's and take very little time. It's plugging your current internet connection into the router, setting up your DNS, make sure to set up a WEP security code to secure your wireless network (keep bandits from tapping in). Once you have it set up, your new MacBook will detect the network, ask for a security code, and wallah... you are wireless.

Good Luck!

5. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info

Good information to have. I was looking to get the Airport Express. Another question is do I have to have my emac be wireless as well? If so I would need the airport card, it wasn't standard three years ago. If I could keep the emac connected by wire and just the macbook wireless it might save some money. What do you think?