Airport with an Alienware

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MetallicPenguin, Jan 25, 2004.

1. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Hey:

My brother just got an Alienware laptop with a built in wireless card. We can't get it to work with our Airport Extreme though. And we're not sure if somethings not set up right, or if it just won't work with his PC. Anyone know?

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

First of all, what kind of card is in the Alienware? a, b, or g? Second, if it is b or g (which i am sure it must be), what do you run into that makes the PC not able to connect (error message, can't find the network, etc.)? Is your base station set up on a closed network? Any other info would be great.
    –Chase

3. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

It's compatible with A, B, and G; the computer sees the network and we can enter the password but it never seems to actually gives us an internet connection. In the Network Connections it just has an X by it and says no connection.

Edit: The support people say we might just need some updated drivers.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

If you have WEP (wireless security) turned on you will need to use the Equivalent Network Password for PC's, you can't use the network password that you used to set up the WEP using the Airport software. The password can be found under Base Station, Equivalent network password in the Base Station Utility menu.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Also check the WEP Authentication method. The Authentication has to be "Shared". In Win XP, this is found under Advanced Preferences.

6. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much! We've been trying for hours! It works! Now I know hot to get that crappy Gateway to work too.

Thanks a bunch! :)