Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maikeru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
new to mac

just got a 17" pb with 2gb ram

airport works OK but is very slow

bigger problem is that sometimes the base station disappears. i am unable to find it in the airport manager utility

when i reboot the airport is recognized again.

i dumped windows to get away from this nonsense. please help.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Although my airport basestation is really an emac, I get this same problem. Not that it's slow, but that it randomly dissapears; it's the weirdest thing. This isn't the nature of computer base-stationing, is it?

maikeru

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
i've got all the latest....

cjc343 said:
are you using the latest version of software/firmware?

How far away are you?

I've got all the latest updates. Actually went to the Apple store in Ginza to get all the latest and greatest updates. PB is brand new and the base station is the extreme version.

I'm not terribly far....maybe 10 meters away (with a wall between).
Regarding the distance, have not had trouble with this setup on other computers.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
I had a similar problem with my Apple Extreme Base Station and my iBook - was ready to toss the whole set-up until I found this article:resetting AEBS and followed it's advice. I haven't had any trouble since.

When someone first suggested it, I didn't think it sound like the right solution, but I knew my iBook was working, I could get onto the network at the airport and one of my neighbors has an unprotected network that I can access with no problem. Resetting the AEBS worked - it's worth a try anyway.

HTH M

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Have you tried iStumbler or macStumbler to see if there is another BaseStation close by. If there is another BS operating on the same channel as yours then you could loose your connection every time there is traffic on the other network due to interference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.