airport & xbox question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chrisfx811, Jan 2, 2003.

1. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    i have my iMac in my bedroom and my xbox in my living room. i would like to use xbox live thru the dsl connection i have set-up for my imac. running a crap load of cat 5 cable is an ABSOLUTE last resort. can i use an airport base station connected to my x-box and an airport card in my imac? will the surfing speed of my imac suffer greatly? the 2 will be approx30 feet apart, separated by 2 indoor walls. thanks for any help
  2. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    If you were to buy another wireless (802.11b) router from anyone, and hook the XBox up to it, i beleve it may work, using a card in the mac and internet connection sharing over the airport card. I beleve it may work as long as the iMac is on.
  3. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    what i was wondering is.... can i move my dsl modem into my living room and hard wire it to my x-box and use the air port to connect to my imac in my bedroom?
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana

That will work just fine, and is a standard configuration. The white airport hub has two ethernet connections, one for the DSL modem, and one for the LAN, which in this case is just the Xbox.

You will need to temporarily connect the iMac to the airport hub to do the configuration. The airport hub should (a) use pppoe to the dsl modem (b) supply ip addresses to ethernet (c) supply ip addresses to airport. Set up the pppoe username and password for your dsl account.
  5. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Yes, But it is very easy to setup

1) Install the Airport Card into the iMac
    2) Connect the DSL to the Airport BaseStation
    3) Using Airport Admin, Configure the Base Station to use DHCP to obtain an IP address (or PPPoE depending on your ISP's Settings) also enable DHCP over Ethernet and Ethernet to Airport Bridging
    4) Connect the XBox via a Crossover Ethernet Cable

Both your iMac and XBox should work fine, even at the same time on the internet.

6. chrisfx811 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    thank you for the help. one other question, is the airport set-up a better solution than another brand? at best buy they had a linksys (sp?) wireless router for $119 and the usb antenna was like $50-70. most of the other brands are significantly cheaper than an airport.... are they worth it?
  7. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2002
    In a dark corner somewhere. Help me..
    Two advantages I see to the AirPort:

1. It has an internal modem. Not really usefull if all you are doing
    is gaming. Its a good back up solution if your WAN connection goes down and you need to get one with a few computers.

2. It looks nice.. :)

Other then that ....get whatever. I personally have a netgear and
    it works flawlessly....