Airport

Discussion in 'Community' started by monkeydo_jb, Aug 23, 2002.

1. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

If I buy a PB do I need to buy the airport basestation if I already have a wireless router?

-jeff

2. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i dont think so.
    airport is just 802.11b, so if your router is too than they should work together right?

3. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I travel a lot and I always have problems with my Tibook

connecting to other wireless networks that are not Airport base

stations:mad:, even though Apple claims the Airport cards works

with any wireless router!!

So if anyone can find out, please let me know!!!:D

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

What problems do you have??? I've never seen any problems.

To answer the original question, any wireless router/base station with the 802.11 standard will work. I've got a Linksys at home and it works flawlessly.

Taft

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

shouldnt this go under mac help questions??? anyways...

i need to network 2 macs in my home going to be running jag. network them up to share the same cable modem and printer...will the airport solve this problem? do i need another router and the airport?

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Answer:
    no u dont i have a ibook same card...... and at home i have a linksus router and at school they have rooftop attenata but they are getting a dish that will broadcast for an area of up to 25 miles around the school should be here in like 3 weeks im stoked
    as long as ur pevious netwrok is 802.11b it willl most lickly work.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the real reason for this is the fact that wireless routers that are not airport base stations are a pain in the ass to setup right and maintain. im sure some halfwitted admin has gone thru and messed with whatever settings cnet told them was a potential vulnerabilty and put a piece of tape over it.

i didnt buy a base station, i have the SMC Wireless Barricade. It works fine in general except for the occasional reboot it requires. it is a total pain in the arse to setup properly and get port forwarding working the right way, and there still arent enough options.

next time i'll just buy the apple hardware

8. FatTony macrumors regular

I don't know about your printer setup, but airport will allow you to share any internet connection, modem, cable, dsl. I have used it with modem and dsl with 2 airport equipped macs. That latest basestations have 2 ethernet ports so you can even share the internet connection with wired clients, too.

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay thanks a lot FatTony. So that anwers that.

So all I need is an aiport to connect two puters to my cable modem and printer (i believe this was confirmed earlier).
    If anyone objects please let me know.

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

are there like 2 different models (or more) of airports??? if so whats the distinct difference. reason im asking is that i dont want to buy the wrong one.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

does anyone know how to bust through 64bit encryption with an Airport card and a wireless Linksys router?

12. FatTony macrumors regular

There are 2 different models, but Apple only sells the newer one. The original model was grey and had only one ethernet port and the newer one is white and has 2 ethernet ports.

13. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

What'samatter KrossFyter?

You didn't believe my explanation of this on the other thread about AirPort and printers? I'm hurt. Really Hurt. ;)

Gus

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

By the way...

Another difference between the two ABSs is that the old one (now called the Graphite) can only support 10-20 clients, whereas the new one (Called Snow or Ice) can support up to 50 clients. Also, the new one supports 128 bit encyption, but if you are using it at home, you don't necessarily need that, but it is nice. The old ones can be found for about $149.00 at a couple of online stores. There were reports that the new one has a longer range, but I think that that was bunk. Besides, if you are at home, the old one has plenty of range. My girlfriend lived in an aprtment across the street from my house and was using my cable connection via AirPort with no problem whatsoever.

Gus

15. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

How do you make it connect?

Like with Base Stations, all you have to do is: click the Airport

waves and select the bsae station you want to connect too!!!

It doesn't give me this option with non-Apple Base stations!!:mad:

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: What'samatter KrossFyter?

nah i believe you... i asked this a while back before that other post and never got a response or answer on this one. its cool. my question has been answered now form the other posts by you and a few others. thanks.

17. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Just a quick question. I want to verify my shopping list before i buy anything :)

To get an ibook networked (both filesharing and internet connection) with my Powermac I just:

1. Install Jaguar to save headache and utilize kickin' Rendezvous technology
    2. buy 2 airport cards and slap 'em in
    3. install airport software
    4. run dsl connection to Powermac
    5. restart computers and enjoy the wireless goodness.

no base station needed as I will be using the Powermac G4

Thanks guys.

Krossfyter - nice site. keep up the good work.