1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jen5678, Jan 23, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me about airport?

Is there a annual charge?
    If you have airport, do you like it?
    Etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Jen :)

2. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Express is what Apple calls 802.11g. Its really just a wireless connection to your existing internet connection, so once you buy the hardware to set up that connection, you just have to keep paying for your regular ISP.

3. macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Get the 802.11g. :)

4. macrumors regular

ok, thank you.

5. reh
    macrumors 6502a

Fixed that for ya. :)

6. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Airport Express is also a G. Just doesnt have any physical ports to plug your mac into. :)

7. reh
    macrumors 6502a

Airport and Airport Extreme are wireless networking technologies. Airport Express is a hardware product. I didn't want the original comment I replied to to mislead the original poster.

8. macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

the Aiport Extreme is really nice ... I have it for our network. I dont like to string wires all over the place. I have absolutely no complaints about the Airport. I would say if you chose to get an Airport I would recommend getting either Airport Extreme (50 users max) or Airport Express (10 users max).

Correct me if im wrong.

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hmmm... tell that to my old iMac which is now plugged into my AirPort Express via ethernet cable, using it as a bridge. ;)

Oh, and just to be clear (well, I think it was clear already, but just in case): there is no charge whatsoever for using a wireless network device - as long as its connecting to your own network. In that case, it's just replacing ethernet cabling with radio-based connections.

If, say, you go to Starbucks, you can pay for using their wireless network, which you access via your AirPort card. Many places offer wireless access for free, and some places charge for it. Rates vary.