Airport

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tourada, Feb 27, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that "airport" has been renamed to Wi-Fi?

2. celticpride678

I noticed. Good move by Apple. Why "AirPort"?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I think that it is just another small feature in Lion that shows Apple is moving more mainstream. I think they are trying to hook new users and changing terms like "airport" to a more recognizable "wi-fi" is one way to make the transition easier.

4. macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

They are still using AirPort elsewhere, though. Either change everything to "Wi-Fi" or stick with AirPort.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Lion still offers Airport Utility for their own devices. However, looks like they have removed just the name "AirPort" for wi-fi access. I agree, stick with Airport or remove it altogether.

6. macrumors 68000

rorschach

I think the idea is that AirPort will be used only when referring specifically to the AirPort Base Station while Wi-Fi will be used for any wifi connection. AirPort Utility configures the AirPort Base Station so it doesn't make sense to change that.

7. celticpride678

Where are they still using "AirPort"

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing he was referring to "AirPort Utility". That is the only reference I see in Lion to airport.