Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
:eek: It's probably a silly question, but I am a bit anal about 'doing things correctly' and with the least amount of wear and tear on my stuff (especially lovely expensive mac stuff!)...I'm just finding my way around my new iBook and keep turning AE on and off as I get on/off the internet. I'm plugged into the wall, so power is not an issue...I guess I just feel like if I'm not using it, why have it on? On the other hand I think, perhaps I shouldn't turn it on and off, as it may 'wear it down.' Now, if I understand correctly, this is a ridiculous idea, as it is not a 'physical' action, but an electrical one (kinda like the difference between a CD burner and flash memory?) Am I correct in this? Any thoughts as how I should use this? Thanks in advance! :eek: :eek: :eek:

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Light bulbs

Doesn't matter if its on or not when plugged in, might as well leave it on. Just if you are running off the battery, with the airport on it will use up your battery quicker. So, if you are not using it when running on the battery, turn it off.

Think of it this way, you turn a light bulb on and off, but the bulbs usually go out more right when you turn them on than a minute or so into use. So I would say you are more likly to break it, if that is even possible, when you turn it on when you are turning it on and off constantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.