Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I'm very excited for iOS 4.2 to launch, as AirPrint will be a great service.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how it works, and can tell me which printers and protocols will be compatible. While AirPort Express compatibility is a given, how about wireless printers that are already on the market?

I have a Brother HL-5370DW which hooks up wirelessly to my router. Any idea if that will work? And has Apple announced if it'll be compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch? Will this become a widely implemented protocol that makes wireless printing from the Mac easier to set up and do in general?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
While AirPort Express compatibility is a given
Last time I read the feature description, that was actually not going to happen. Specifically, plugging a printer into the USB port of an AirPort Express or Time Capsule in no way made the printer usable via AirPrint. Only printers with special AirPrint compatibility, none of which currently exist, will work with AirPrint innately. For any other printer, you have to have it connected to a "real computer" (Mac or PC, not an AirPort Express) and share it via special drivers (that Apple will presumably release when iOS 4.2 rolls out). So an iPad will not be printing to any current printer in existence unless that printer is shared via a powered-on computer (lame).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.