AirTunes and Airport question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iPegboy, Nov 30, 2004.

1. iPegboy macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I was looking for some good Christmas gifts this year and I was thinking about getting that Airport Express deal with AirTunes. I have a G3 iBook with no Airport card currently installed.

It appears from my research that I can not get the new Airport Extreme Card, as it won't fit. Is that true? Reading through other discussions, it doesn't sound like the AirTunes is too good with the other Airport Card (speed issues, with dropping etc).

Is there some other set up I could use to make it work? I really like the concept of the Airport Express. Could I rig up some sort of alternative method of making this work effectively?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Friend,

I'm sorry someone took so long to reply to your topic. I think that it incompatible due to size issues, but I'm not positive - I'm pretty sure there is no way to make it work. I'm not sure about Airport Express, but I'd assume that the original AirPort card could work with it, because it does work with the AirPort Extreme base station. Hope that helps.

--Sam

3. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

I've got a G3 iBook and an Airport Express, and AirTunes works quite happily for me. :)

The G3 iBooks only take the old wireless cards - you can't get an Extreme one in there no matter how hard you push ;)

Playing files stored on my iBook is no problem - I've not had any drops there. However, I have quite a bit of music backed up onto a server. If I try playing this wirelessly from there to my iBook to the Express - then I get bad drops.

I should note that all my Airport Express does is play music for me. It's providing me with wireless DSL etc - that's done via a normal Extreme basestation. They are shared on a WPA&WDS network though.

4. iPegboy thread starter macrumors regular

cool, thanks for the replys.

tzibo: is there a reason you don't use the Airport Express for wireless internet as well as a music player?