Airtunes...iPod...WAIT A MINUTE!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CubaTBird, Jun 13, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    Why wasn't airtunes released at WWDC?? Perhaps new ipods are coming out next Tuesday or sometime before WWDC to compliment "Airtunes" B/C you would think that Airtunes would be released as a new product at WWDC, no? :confused:
  2. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Me and all my friends are just itching to spend all of our graduation money. Steve would be oh so wise to release a new iPod while we still have a wad of cash in our pockets and before we all become poor college students surviving on a diet of ramen noodles and iTunes! :)

But seeing as how iPod mini's are still pretty much no where to be found, you'll be lucky to see one or two in a store, to release a new iPod would just be a freakin' ordering DISASTER, with probably an est. ship date of sometime in 2005 :cool:
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    yeah but the reason you dont find iPod Minis anywhere is not because of Apple, but because of the Hitachi drives that are used in them that are backorded and no where to be found, the regular size ipods should have no such issues unless of course there is a hard to find part in them as well
  4. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Yes but assuming that Apple would continue to use Toshiba as the supplier for the hd's in it's iPods, and assuming that the next generation of iPods will have a higher storage capacity, to launch a new iPod now would be an ordering disaster because Toshiba isn't going to start producing its 60GB version of the 1.8" HD until around september. I really wish we didn't have to wait until then though :(
  5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    what is all this garbage about mini iPods being so hard to find? I SEE THEM AT EVERY APPLE STORE I GO TO! Personally, the iPod mini hardly smaller than an iPod, yet you lose a disproportionate amount of storage space. the mini is all hype. wait.
  6. loubapache macrumors member

Feb 12, 2004
    Circuit City online has the Ipod Mini occasionally. I am getting on on Tuesday (ordered on Friday).

Now, if a new Ipod is released in two weeks, I will regret getting the mini.
  7. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lets not turn this thread into another iPods are better than mini's thread. Its all about what you use it for.
  8. papersushi macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2003
    I think the storage size won't be the selling point of the iPod's anymore. How many percents of iPod users are using even quarter of the space? I think Apple will be focusing on new features of the future iPods.
  9. legion macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Agreed. The Best Buy down the street has still yet to be out of stock of silver minis since the day before they officially came out (they started selling them 1 day early)

Maybe it's because we have a glut of both Apple Stores and resellers in Los Angeles, but the minis are darn easy to get and have never been out of stock in the area.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, I saw a mini for the first time, and its not too much smaller than the regular iPod. I seriously thought it was worth it if what you want is a smaller form factor, but after seeing this "mini" form factor, the only thing "mini" about it is its storage capacity.

I didn't know that these 60GB HDD's were coming out all the way in September. I don't think Apple needs to announce another thing they can't deliver within the month. I think its going to be a new device. I think they'll keep the iPod as a music device, but create something else for the home to go with Airport Express. They could have announced it at WWDC, but didn't. They have something bigger up their sleeve, and it's going to be a real gem. :cool:
  11. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    I think Apple could bring out a next gen ipod in mini ipod coloured fronts and they would sell big time...
  12. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Or rather, it may be true for you, but it's far from true for me. To me the regular iPod felt like a very heavy paperweight. It never fit well in my hand, it bounced all over the place when I clipped it to my gym shorts, and it was awkward to hold in my hand.

THAT'S how it was FOR ME. The Mini is, to me, magic. It never bounces, it's so light I hardly notice it, I can wear it around my neck (could NOT do that with the iPod), and it fits PERFECTLY in my hand. In addition, the click wheel is intuitive--I can do everything with my thumb, don't even have to look at the Mini to adjust, skip, hold. For me, at least, the Mini is well, well, well worth it. It's completely "mini" in form compared to the iPod.

If that's not so for you, well it's not. I'm certainly not going to try and make you feel stupid for not liking or wanting the Mini; please do me the similar courtesy in turn of not trying to make me feel stupid for liking and wanting one. Believe me, hype alone NEVER made me buy anything. I held the Mini and knew it was right for me. That's all there was to it.

And with that, I hope we can lay this to rest and get back to the topic at hand. To which I'd say, that I agree Apple shouldn't announce anything they're not bringing out in a Month. And I hope all the college students will hold onto enough money for Airtunes at least.
  13. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i agree. size does matter. you either like gobs and gobs of space for everthing, your you prefer a small form factor.

as for the topic of this thread i hope they come out with a PowerPod that has 802.11 capabilities so it can connect with the Airport Express. or why doesnt apple, or some other company come out with an 802.11 dock. just clips on the the standard dock connector allowing the iPod to boradcast to any airport express. . . but i guess if that happened my 1st gen 10GB iPod wouldnt work :-(
  14. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    Perhaps they could make the next generation iPods work as remotes. Use your iPod just like you always do - without the earphones. I honestly can't think of a more creative use for wireless capability, other than to add songs to the pod without cables.