Airtunes issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hakmajik, Jun 18, 2005.

1. hakmajik macrumors newbie

Hi,

Today I purchased an Airport Express with the sole intention of having it be a 'client' to my existing 54g (Belkin) network.

Everything connected "fine"-- the Airport Express is up and running, my Mac keeps moving fine, and the Belkin keeps pumping... however...

An Airport audio stream tends to last all of about 5-10secs before the tune is 'lost' for 1-4 secs (and then reconnects)...

For reference, I'm connecting via a wireless Airport Extreme card to my network. I'm using "WEP-128bit" encryption. The Belkin network, otherwise, has run flawlessly for about 1-2 years...

Thoughts?

Should I attempt to "control" the Airport Express via my Windows machine (egad)-- given that it "talks" to the Belkin via 100mbs Ethernet?

Thanks in advance!

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you said you were using client mode, but you are connecting with the cables?

3. hakmajik thread starter macrumors newbie

Wireless to Wireless...

I was/am connecting from my G5 to the (main) Belkin via wireless 54G. The Airport Express is likewise "wireless" (a client) -- and upstairs to boot!

I did, being a wildman, attempt the operation with my windows box-- given that it is "wired" to the belkin (reducing the wireless hop to solely that between the belkin and the AE). that worked flawlessly.

So that leads to a question/revised question- advice/etc:
    (1) Leave well enough alone (but be vexxed that the router, colocated with modem and windows box precludes adequate operation on my mac)
    OR
    (2) Attempt something else (unfortunately, moving hub router/AP location/mac location are not really options)-- for example would an AE to AE WDS network (eg scrap the belkin) work better?

thoughts?

thanks in advance...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could the Express just be getting bad reception from the rest of the network? How far is it from the Belkin?

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i am with mad jew on this one. i checked for reception problems.

move around your airport express and your router. getting http://www.macstumbler.com software to see the wireless actvitiy will help you troubleshoot. i imagine it is just a weak signal.

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

I have this problem to.
    I think there is just two much lag in the system from Airtunes to work unless the Airport express is the primaraly router. I gave up and just created a seperate Airport Express network.