Airtunes on existing WIFI network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by marknicholls, Dec 2, 2004.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hi People

I currently have a wireless network with a mac and a windows PC, i have just purchased Airport Express with Airtunes, i have plugged it in, and it worked fine, immediatly, but the problem is, it knocks my router of the network so i cant get internet access, i have access to go on this forum as i have had to swap the connection back to the router.....there must be a way to have them both connected at the same time? Please tell me i am being really stupid and there is an easy solution!!

Thanks

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If it is a wireless router it's not going to be compatible with Airport Express. You would have to be using Airport extreme for both of them to work on the same wireless network. Why not use the Airport express as your router?

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Not true. Airport Express can be a client on any existing wireless net. The problem is that you are allowing both the existing router and Airport Express to act as routers. You don't want to set the AE up as a router; it's just a node on the existing wireless net.

4. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, is there an idiots guide somewhere!?!?!?

My DLink router is used for 1 mac and 1 PC, and the Airport Express is plugged in bedhind my TV (connected to my DVD 5.1 kit) i only want the Airport for Aitrunes but must have both the DLink router and Aiport working at the same time.....any help would be great

5. globetrotter0 macrumors newbie

It works. Please see enclosed for instructions

"marknicholls",

I had the same question. Apple is genius enough to make something proprietary, but if they get too proprietary, they will become M$. Since they thrive on being somewhat open sourced with the use of unix and X11 compatibility, I figured that there must be a way and scoured the web. Please find below links, which I have bookmarked with specific instructions on it. I have a Linksys G Router, so some are specific instructions on that, but you should be able to get it!

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/AppleAirportExpress

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/inder/archive/2004/10/using_airport_e_1.html

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/airportexpress.ars/4

http://ryanschwartz.net/2004/08/05/airtunes-airport-express-and-the-wrt54g

Hope it helps you!

- Alex the Globetrotter :cool:

6. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks mate.....ill take a look when i have watched C.S.I. ;)

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I thought you can just set in in the Airport setup assistant to connect in client mode and it will join the existing wireless network (i.e. NOT act as a router or repeater).

8. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck with that method

Seems the only solution it to set it as a client.....but i cant find that option anywhere....can someone advise please?

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, my AE will be delivered tomorrow, and I will be using it in the same manner as you are trying to do. If you don't get an answer before I get mine set up, I'll post how I did it, O.K.?

10. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

11. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Any news yet mate? i still cant find a client option

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Which app are you using to configure it? Airport Express Assitant or Airport Utility?

13. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

well the admin utility does not find anything, even when i type my IP address in of my router, it find nothing, and the airport setup assistant gives me no client option.....what am i doing wrong?

14. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. I'm surprised to see that people have made this work. It is definitely not a "supported" feature. It seems like the second link in Globetrotter's post has the best instructions. Did you try resetting the Airport as he suggests?

16. mrscribble macrumors newbie

Works with Airport Admin Utility

My setup sounds exactly the same as yours, macs and pcs on a wireless network - though I have a BT router not a DLink, which shouldn't make any difference - and got it working fine. I used the Airport Admin Utility on my mac (not the airport express assistant, though I think you can use the assistant too) to set it up, and it works perfectly.

What I did was just open the airport express in the admin utility on the mac, and under the 'AirPort' tab there's an option that says 'use base station to...' - my guess is that it's set to "Create a Wireless Network" at the moment - change it to "Join an Existing Wireless Network" - it should auto-detect your DLink. When you select 'update' it'll reset the router and then you're in business.

Worked for me - hope you get the same! Incidentally I couldn't get this to work using the Windows tools - it wouldn't pick up the Express - but on the mac it works fine, and now I can stream from both the mac and pc.

17. altair macrumors regular

You guys gotta hard reset the Airport Express, do this by unplugging it, pushing a pin in the reset button for 2 sec, then plugging it back in while still pushing the pin on the reset button, wait for it to flash a few times.

Then go back into the Airport Express Setup Utility, and make sure you set it up to join an existing network.

Took me awhile to figure out that once you hoze the config of the airport express, the only real way to 'fix' it is to do the hard reset.

Hope this helps.

18. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Even when i pres rescan, it finds nothing.....but it does find it in the network but the aiport setup assistant does HELP!!!

Also, very very strange, my DVD player (5.1 surround sound) has worked fine for months......i have had my airport attatched for just 4 days and 2 fuses have blown on.....major coincidence, or do i have another problem here!? can an airport blow a fuse on the system it is connected to??

19. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, here is what happens when i try and modify my network:

It finds my existing DLInk router

I click continue and it takes me to a section which says select the base station you want to modify but nothing comes up

So so odd....

any news on the strange fuse blowing problems i have had?

I swear one day i will get this all working!

Ok, now my airport is Flashing yellow and the manual says its either my internet connection, or i am out of range......i cant be out of range im only 10 feet away....

20. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought i had mini success just then, i played around for a while and the admin utility, and it found the airtunes, and i set up WDS.....it finds my router so i think GREAT! then, it says joining network.....GREAT.....Then it says the admin utlilty was unable to read the config of the selected base station....

Sorry to be a pain people.....but help!

21. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Mark, I received mine today and had it up and running in 10 minutes.

You don't want to become part of a WDS, since this only works with an Apple base station of a hacked Linksys router. I think, as suggested above, you need to do a hard reset. The start up the Airport Setup Assistant. On the Introduction page (after the initial splash page), select "Set up a new Airport base station". If your Airport Express has already been configured, you get a drop down error dialog saying "No new Airport networks found". This means you have not succeeded in doing a hard reset on the AExpress, so reset it again. Once you get past this point, you should see a page that gives you a wireless network ID for the Airport Ext. and ask if you want to set up that network or join an existing network. Choose the latter. After that you get a list of available networks. Your existing network should be listed, so choose it. Your basically done!

HTH

22. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

23. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

24. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

hey

does anyone know why my music would be jumping when playing over airtunes? its only 20 ft away from my mac

Thanks

25. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I wonder if this has something to do with joining the existing network. How far away is your original router? Could you try connecting to the airport express directly?