Airtunes on indirectly WiFi enabled Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nikko1965, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Nikko1965 macrumors member

Afternoon all,

Apologies for the naff subject line but here's my question: My local Apple shop has the Rev A 1.42 Minis on 'offer' for €549. How very generous of them. As very little changed compared to the Rev B (Rev A.5?) it may be worth picking up as the 1GB memory upgrade means I'll only be chucking away a 256MB stick as opposed to a 512er. The bigger difference is the lack of WiFi but as I planned on just leaving it sat downstairs mainly being a web- and mailserver, hard wired to the net, I thought this would be an irrelevance. But then I got to thinking that it might be nice to be able connect to my amp via the in-house wireless net. I stream off the PowerBook now but that's more prone to spilled drinks and more responsible people conscientiously closing the lid for me.

Anyway, I'd have a Mini hooked up to a hub off which an Airport Express is connected (the internal gateway Express) and then the other (repeater) Express is in the back of my amp. This means the Mini will be on one internal network and the in-house wireless on a different internal network. So the question, finally, is: will iTunes pick up on the fact the Expresses are Airtunes enabled or is an internal Airport card obligatory for streaming music?

Hope this is clear. I'm going to have a lie down.

Cheers,

Nick

2. adamjaskie macrumors member

I'm not certain on this, but I think that as long as they are all on the same subnet, they should all talk to each other just fine.

3. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

100% Possible.

You just have to go to Airport Admin and check the Airtunes over Ethernet box.

4. Nikko1965 thread starter macrumors member

Trial #1

Thanks for the responses. I downloaded iTunes for Windows onto the clonking, rattling, steam-powered, sounds-like-an-aircraft-taking-off-all-night PC that will hopefully soon be replaced by the Mini. I ticked the "Airtunes over Ethernet box" as suggested by Jedda and the little selection box appeared in iTunes with downstairs Express as a selection option for streaming but no sign of the upstairs one, which is a pity as that's the one I want to stream to. So it looks like there's either no visibility of the other Express from outside the wireless network (the PC is connected via a hub to the downstairs Express which is on the same subnet on the ethernet port side) or I need to set up some kind of forwarding in the wireless network and I can't see where that's done.

Close but still no cigar.