Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Disclaimer: could be a total coincidence, but it has been constant and annoying.

With my 12" PB, I had perfect AirTunes performance. I live in a condo with tons of wireless networks around, but there were never any issues. It never cut out, and my airport reception always showed full.

With my 15" C2D MBP, I am always generally one bar short of full reception and my AirTunes cuts out constantly. My reception seems fine because internet speeds are good and I can see a ton of networks I never used to see. But the AirTunes is sucking big time.

This is all happening in a small living room with my Airport Extreme on one side of the room, my laptop in the middle, and an Airport Express on the other side of the room connected to my speakers.

Has anyone else noticed this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I reckon you can probably pin your problems down to the fact the 12" PowerBook has better AirPort reception than the MacBook Pros. Network speed and throughput is dependent on the reception you're getting. If you get slightly worse reception than before, then AirTunes will struggle to keep the connection open and smooth. :(

Changing your AirPort's broadcasting channel to something completely different to those networks around you might help. :)

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Yep been changing channels constantly to try and find a clearing. So far they all seem equally bad. Though I'm not exactly sure what the relationship between internet reception and airtunes reception is. I suppose they both comeback to fundamental airport reception.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Spot on. Both 'receptions' are related entirely to AirPort reception. The internet generally uses only a very small amount of network traffic and usually doesn't have much of an effect on overall reception or network stability. :)

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I turned off the "use interference robustness" setting on my MBP and my AirPort and so far AirTunes has been uninterrupted. Could just be because it's later in the day but I'll hope for the best!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Interesting. Interference Robustness should shorten the range, but make the connection more stable and durable. I guess it depends on how far you are form the router and how much interference there is as to how well it works. I always turn it off on my network because I find it slows things down a bit, so I guess turning it off for you makes sense too. Hopefully that's fixed it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.