Airtunes sound quality

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmufellow, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jmufellow macrumors regular

This has been bugging me for a while. Does anyone know if there is any quality degradation when playing music thru airport express than just plugging it into the computer? I have tried to test this myself to no avail, because in the time it takes to switch, I forget what it originally sounded like.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

From what I recall, Airtunes shoots it across as lossless, so there shouldn't be any quality loss apart from the original MP3 file.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Sounds nice to me. Much better than an analog headphone port...

And yes, it is sent as lossless audio...

4. jmufellow thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the airport goes back to an analog headphone port.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I'm using optical... Sounds great using optical...

6. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

So have we concluded here that I'm better off hooking my speakers up to the airport (not optical) as opposed as directly to my Powerbook?

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Yes and no...

See... The port on the airport is balanced so that the reciever gets the sounds as it 'expects' it to be. By pluggin it directly into the computer's port, it not treated as such, and is more suspectable to audio artifacts and such, but really it won't sound 'bad', just not as good :) . But then again, its more convinient to control all of the audio using the KB...

8. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

If you can't tell the difference, doesn't that kind of make it a moot issue?

I've been using airtunes for a while and it sounds great to me....at least on my system.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, i agree. Unless you are an audiophile and have good quality monitor so you can actually hear the difference it is really pointless to even mess with it.

10. jmufellow thread starter macrumors regular

To clarify, I couldn't tell doing a side by side comparison because once I switched to airport from computer, plugged the minijack to the computer, started the song and adjusted the volume (the volume is louder when on airport), it was hard to do an objective comparison. But to be honest, it probably is a moot issue anyway cause I'm no audiophile.:eek: Just one of those things that has bothered me 'cause I didn't know if I was missing anything.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040